LAX for the Antisocial

Phil and Kristin were at the airport. Kristin would be picked up at LAX by her family after saying hello to Techno. Then Phil would spend 10 days with his best mates. The adults had come up with a surprise for Tommy at the end of the week, and it included Phil spending time with his absolute best friend. Until then, Techno and Wilbur were in charge of the plans, so Phil had no clue what to expect.

He hadn't flown many times but the process wasn't too complicated to him. Soon enough they were on the plane and headed to California. He'd never met Techno in real life and he had to admit he was excited. He settled in for a long flight and looked over at Kristin.

10 days with friends, and the rest of his life with the most amazing person he knew. She had wanted the window seat to see the take-off. As the plane began to move and increase in speed, Kristin's face lit up. He smiled at his wife's innocent excitement from the plane taking off. He was perfectly fine never having the window seat again if he got to watch her smile every time instead.

——————

This was it. Phil had texted saying he was on the plane and Wilbur would be at Tommy's soon. The reality that Wilbur would be seeing Tommy came crashing down all over again.

Tommy was not prepared for this. Sure,he had packed, but he was mentally in shambles. He had ignored most of his panicked feelings up until it had just burst into his mind. He had been aware that Wilbur would pick him up, and thus see him. He had been aware of a thought somewhere far away telling him he needed to be concerned about that. He had not been truly concerned, and it had just clicked.

He felt his heart rate increase. No. Wilbur was close and he wasn't going to be a mess when he got there. He closed his eyes and did his best to swallow the nauseating anxiety that was upsetting his too empty stomach. No. Not today. Not now.

He got a text on his phone and a fresh wave of heat surges through his now shaking body. He read the worst words he could imagine and picked up his backpack. Wilbur was there.

He took a deep breath and dragged his suitcase and backpack down the stairs. His mother was there to send him off. She hugged him and told him to have fun. Then she opened the front door so Tommy could start his vacation.

Tommy thanked her and said a final goodbye as he walked out to Wilbur's car. Wilbur was leaning against the side of the blue Nissan. He looked up at Tommy approaching. Joy, confusion, and concern flashed across his face before he settled on happiness. He ran to Tommy and gave him a hug.

"I've missed you!"
"Wilbur, it's been one day since I talked to you."
"I still missed you. You ready?"

Wilbur grabbed Tommy's suitcase and put it in the back of his trunk. "Yeah I'm ready. I was born ready. I've never not been ready," Tommy said with a laugh. Wilbur laughed too and opened the passenger door for Tommy. When they were buckled up, Wilbur set off to the airport.

———

Wilbur kept glancing at Tommy. Something was seriously wrong. He had noticed that Tommy was skinnier but hugging him had scared Wilbur. He had hugged air. There was practically nothing there.

He didn't know if maybe it was something medical or an eating disorder, but he was going keep an eye on Tommy for the trip. Either was serious, and he wouldn't let his friend go through anything alone. Not if he could help it, at least.

He would have to talk to him about it before getting to California too. He sighed, louder than he'd intended. Tommy looked over at him. "What's up, big man?" Well he didn't mean now, but it would have to be now.

"Are you ok, Tommy?"
Tommy's face went pale, though Wilbur was watching the road and couldn't see.
"Of course, big W! Why wouldn't I be?"
"It's just- well," Wilbur looked for the right word. He, surprisingly, did not find it.
"Do you want some Macdonald's?"
"Ooook. Macdonald's got you all somber? I don't want any but you can get some."
"Not even a cookie? Or a smoothie?"
"No, I'm fine."

Wilbur sighed again, but inwardly this time. It wasn't conclusive evidence by any means, but Wilbur was really worried for Tommy. He hoped he was wrong; that Tommy was just a natural twig, but he didn't think skeletal hands were natural. He could be wrong, but Tommy hadn't been that thin a year ago.

He pulled through a Macdonald's drive through and got an order of fries, a soda, and a sugar cookie. He once he got the food, he handed the cookie to Tommy.

"I really don't want anything."
"Dude, you might be the twiggiest person I've ever seen. A cookie won't hurt."
Tommy hid a slight smile at the "compliment" before squinting at the cookie. He rolled his eyes.

"It's not about hurting me. I'm just not hungry."
"I dont believe you, Tommyinnit, but I'll leave the cookie in the bag."
"W-what do you mean you don't believe me? How do you not believe someone not being hungry??" Tommy said it with an air of joking and humor, but his words were hiding real panic. Wilbur just shrugged and kept driving.

——————

The rest of the drive and the flight was uneventful. Tommy liked the city getting smaller and within the hour was asleep. Wilbur also fell asleep, but not as quick.

He was seriously starting wonder if he was getting paranoid about Tommy. What if he was wrong? Tommy would be driven away by him pushing help that wasn't needed. He'd probably ruin the trip if he kept worrying so much and nothing was wrong.

But if he was right, Tommy was in danger. Eating disorders are deadly, and difficult to go through. He couldn't stand leaving Tommy alone to fight that; especially when it seemed like he was losing that fight miserably. Wilbur fell asleep to his troubling thoughts and didn't wake up until the flight was over.

——————

Techno was miserable. First, he had to leave his apartment. Second, he had to drive. Third, he had to go to an airport. And not just any airport, LAX. He waited to pick Phil up from his car. He would not be venturing into the sea of people. It was 12 am but it was still a massive crowd.

Then a green and white striped hat appeared in the sea. Techno laughed to himself. Wilbur had sent that hat at Christmas "to match Philzas brand." The older guy wore it often though, and techno knew it wasn't for the brand. He just liked the things his friends gave him. He was cool like that.

Techno lost some of his smile. He probably wouldn't wear a derpy hat just cause his friend gave it to him. He couldn't handle drawing attention with just his hair. He was not cool like that, and it kinda stung. Though it really isn't a bad thing, he felt like it was.

He shook away the darkening thoughts and stuck an arm out to signal Phil over. Kristin wasn't with him so she must have left already. Darn, Techno had wanted to meet her.

Phil hopped in the car and tossed his suitcase in the back seat. Techno started the engine and drove to a nearby cafe. Wilbur and Tommy would be there in an hour, and LA traffic would not permit them to go to Technos apartment 8 miles away and come back in time.

———

Phil was processing what he was looking at. "It's pink?"
Techno choked on his coffee.
"And long. The fan base had spoken, and long pink hair were their words."
Phil leaned back and laughed incredulously. "They won't even see it. Why would you listen?"
"Maybe I like long pink hair too."
"Fair enough."
Phil kept staring. He looked away and chuckled a bit.

"I have my hat and you have your hair; Wilbur and Tommy better have their respective outfits."

Now Techno laughed. He sipped his coffee before replying. "I swear if we all meet up for the first time in cosplay I'm gonna lose it."

The talked and vibed for the next hour until Wil and Tommy's flight was supposed to get there. Then they headed back to social anxiety central.

Wilbur and Tommy came out quickly and found Techno's car after vigorous searching. Tommy noticed first.

"Holy shit Techno! Your hair! HA HA!"
"Ohhhh I should have expected a reaction from you. It's 2 am though, I wasn't expecting to go deaf."
"It's pink!"
"I'm aware."

Wilbur took note next. "Oh it's so cool!"
Techno smiled and said thanks. Then he noticed Wilbur's yellow jumper. And Tommy's baseball tee. No way.

"Bruhhhhh, we're in cosplay."