eighteen - george

i open my door, sighing heavily as the warmth from inside welcomes me. usually, being at home would provide a sense of content and comfort, however the pang of hurt in my chest overrides those feelings.

my mind has been racing with thoughts the whole journey back to my apartment, and i keep trying to convince myself that it's nothing, and i'm overthinking again.

he stood me up.

not that it was a date, but it hurt all the same. i stare down at our next messages, reading his last one which read, 'omw (:'

but of course, he never showed. i never even received a text to excuse himself. with a heavy heart, i drop to my bed and curl up into a ball. i can't help but glare at the flashing alarm clock with sits on my nightstand. 5pm.

as i feel my eyes begin closing gently, the familiar sound of my ringtone brings me back to my senses and i fish the phone out from underneath me.

without bothering to check the caller id, i pick up.

"i owe you an apology, i uh, didn't make it."

a feeling of dread washes over me at the tone of clay's voice. i really didn't want to hear him right now, "it doesn't matter now. whatever, i'm going to sleep."

a deep sigh fills the short silence before he decides to talk again, "are you mad?"

"a text would have been nice." i state, bluntly, but inwardly cringe at how harsh i sound. the line goes silent again, but this time for a while longer. i feel a cool breeze whisk the air around me as i notice my window has been open all day.

"i'm going to be completely forward with you." he pauses, "i got nervous."

i exhale sharply through my nose, "what?" i say in mild disbelief.

gripping onto the bedsheet, i pull myself up and travel toward the window. i take a long look outside, smiling at how calm this street is at night. the lonely streetlight sits across the road to me, and i stare as it's orange hue flickers due to age or poor wiring.

i prop myself against the thin windowsill, trying to get comfortable as i continue staring outside.

"why'd you want to meet anyways?" clay asks out of seemingly nowhere. i go to answer, but he beats me to it, "you just couldn't stay away, huh?"

"what?" i blurt, as he catches me offguard, and i hear him laugh cockily from the other end of the line.

"is it my charming personality or dashingly good looks?" he muses. is this the name man who just admitted he felt too nervous to see me? his sudden change in mood fills my mind with many questions, but i don't bother trying to figure him out.

"neither. you're insufferable."

he lets out a deep chuckle before replying sarcastically, "hm. you wanted to hang out today because you hate me?"

"i only asked because i feel bad that you have no other friends."

he snorts, and i can feel the smirk in his voice as he speaks, "coming from the guy who literally stole my friend from me?"

"i didn't steal him, he obviously likes me better."

"i don't blame him."

a giggle escapes my lips, "oh?"

the atmosphere suddenly grows quiet, but it's nice. the company of clay on the phone, and the weird sense of home i feel looking out at the street below me makes me oddly content.

underneath the orange glow of the street light, i notice a group of boys appear, and can't help but smile as they push and shove one another jokingly. but this doesn't last long as they soon set their skateboards down in the middle of the empty road and skate away.

i hear a few rustles on clay's end, and wonder what he could be doing. my curiosity is shut down as he speaks up.

"come over."

=====

word count: 670
*in editing*
please vote!

the next few chapters will get interesting(: