31

Paige.

"How did you find out?" I asked while I played with my hands on the table. "Who told you?"

"No one told me." Blake said. "I knew something was wrong by the way you spoke through the phone so I had to check on you."

"But what about your internship?" I frowned. "Did you just leave it?"

"I told you that's not important to me now." He said in a serious tone. "You're more important."

There wasn't any point in arguing because there's no way I could manage to make him leave. The look in his eyes tells me that he's staying.

I folded my arms. "How'd you know I was here?"

"You weren't at school, or at your dorm, so I knew you'd be here."

I just nodded. "D-do you know about Mom?"

He nodded.

I've no idea how he knows about Mom's condition but I didn't anymore ask.

"You should get some rest." He looked at me.

"No." I shook my head and stood up. "I have still have so much to do and I have to get back to the-"

"Stop it Paige." Blake said firmly. "Have you even seen yourself? You look like you're barely even living."

"Do you think I don't know that?" My eyes watered. "I know I look horrible, and helpless but I didn't want any of this!" I sobbed. "I didn't want any of this...but I'm trying..."

"Yes you're trying." Blake spoke. "Look at me." He held my chin.

I looked up to his eyes.

"You will get through this." He held my hand. "And I will be with you every step of the way." He squeezed my hand. "I promise."

_______________________________

"Bennet why aren't you attending training anymore?" Our track coach asked.

"S-sorry Coach, I just have an emergency." I kept my head down. All I felt while at school was shame, I was ashamed of myself that I couldn't look up to my teachers or anyone. My grades were falling, and I was missing classes, and I didn't have time for even my own friends.

"If you keep on missing trainings then you're going to loose your chance to compete in next season's sports tournament."

"I understand Coach." I kept my head down.

Days went by and my friends stopped minding me. They walked past me in the hallways and they didn't anymore confront me in the cafeteria, neither share eye contact. I guess they gave up. If I was in their place, I would too, they were so persistent but I just wouldn't let them in, it's all my fault. But them not knowing is what's best for now.