Fixer upper

Korra was ready.

No more moping around, no more feeling sorry for herself. She was going to fix it today, she was going to get Asami back.

The thing was, Korra was feeling a lack of motivation recently, though she had gotten a pep talk from both Kya and Opal, it still wasn't enough to convince her that she might still have a chance with Asami. But Asami said it herself. Drunk, yes, but she seemed sincere. 

And even if Korra's chance was only a slim one, she was going to give it her best.

Even though she was up late, Korra was feeling more energetic than ever. She was feeling optimistic about the future, about her future with Asami, and her future in general. She woke up today determined and ready like she hasn't been for a long time.

She put an effort into her looks today- a tight navy blue T-shirt with a white print of the water tribe's symbol, ripped black jeans (which she cuffed, bisexual instincts and all) and a dark blue sleeveless vest. She rolled her shirt sleeves up (dress code and all) and brushed her hair. She checked herself out in the mirror, finger gunning her reflection with approval before heading downstairs.

"Someone seems to be in a better mood today," her father commented as she grabbed an apple from the basket, tossed it up and caught it, taking a bite.

"I am," she affirmed, "today will be a good day."

"Well, I'm... Happy to hear it," he smiled weakly at her.

Korra sighed, her arm dropping to her side. "Actually," she looked at him, lips pursed together, "can we talk?"

Her father stared at her, surprised. But he nodded nevertheless. "Did you want me to get your mother..?" He asked carefully.

"Yeah, we all should talk," Korra affirmed, rubbing the back of her neck.

A few minutes later, Korra was sitting next to the dining room table, fiddling nervously with her fingers while avoiding looking at her parents. She wasn't used to this, being grown-up and mature and talking about her feelings, and getting her words together was proving to be a difficult task.

"So," she started, looking up hesitantly, "I think we all know why we're here."

"Uh... Because we live here?" Her dad joked nervously, making her mom snort dismissively.

"Because," Korra ignored his remark, "we all promised we'll try and be a family, so, let's try."

Both her parents looked at each other, and back at her with questioning looks.

"Okay let's get to the point," she breathed out, "I'm not going to college, and you hate that idea."

Silence lingered between the three, and Korra almost cursed herself for bringing that up. But though they have been doing better as a family, this subject had caused a sizable rift between them, and if they were ever going to actually function as a family, it had to be addressed.

"We're just worried about your future," her mother spoke first, apologetic and hesitant, "we don't want you to have to struggle, we want you to make it."

"I know," she sighed, "but at what cost?"

"We can afford sending you to college," her dad assured, you don't have to worry about-"

"That's not what I meant." Korra interjected, finally looking up to lock gazes with her parents, her expression blank. "I meant my cost, the mental cost."

"What do you mean?"

"I don't think I'm fit for school," she admitted sadly, "teachers don't get me, they never did. Like in middle school I remember I got so much shit from them. I'd ask to leave and clear my head because I couldn't pay attention and they'd call me disrespectful, I'd have outbursts and instead of trying to help they'd kick me out of class- and I'm not talking about violent ones, it was way before that. Teachers called me lazy and rude, the principal wouldn't listen, the counselor didn't care and you were always taking the school's side. So at some point, the only person keeping me sane was Lyla and our relationship wasn't exactly healthy either. So when Lyla and I broke up, I just snapped. I started being more aggressive, more reckless and hot headed, and that was mostly because I needed help."