Chapter 62

Song - Lose My Mind by Dean Lewis.
Status - Summery song (sort of), this is another song that describes the short encounter she has with Aiden today from my favourite bad boys POV.

EMILY POV:

Today it was Saturday and probably one of the worst days of my life. Not only had Aiden betrayed my trust, but today was the anniversary of my sister's death. The worst day in the world.

I couldn't believe that I almost didn't realize what the date was and I hated myself for that.

Dale had to leave early this morning after his Ma called him, begging him to come in earlier than he was supposed to, and to be honest, I was glad. Today was a day that I just needed to spend alone, there was none of the usual happy chatter downstairs and I knew this was because both my mother and brother would be miserable. Robert had taken the day off work today to spend with us because he knew what today was and as thankful as I was for him, I kind of wished it was just me, my mom, and my brother.

I knew that I would have to go to Luke's later to see Miles, ever since Maddi had died, I had always spent time with Miles on the anniversary of her death because he always reminded me of her, I felt like a part of her still lived in Miles and I think he felt the same about me.

I lie in bed, staring at the ceiling. I had woken up at least an hour ago but I hadn't yet moved. I wonder what my life would be like if Maddi had never passed away, would everything be different? The heavy rain is the only thing I can hear, but my mind is so busy.

I close my eyes and slowly force myself to climb out of bed, I stay in my pajamas and slug into Eli's room. Eli was curled in a ball which meant I couldn't see his face, but the sniffling sounds coming from his direction was a giveaway.

"Lij, let's get in bed with mom," I attempt to soothe, sitting on his bed and putting my hand on his arm. He nods, still sniffling.

Every year the same thing happened, mom would stay in bed all day and after some time alone, I would get Eli and we would get into bed with mom.

Eli slowly climbs out of bed and together we walk to Mom's room, I open the door quietly in case she was sleeping but was not surprised at all when I saw her going through photos, tears streaming down her face.

Seeing my mom like that was a new kind of pain, and every year I would see it.

"Hi babies," my mother cries.

Robert must have been downstairs cooking breakfast or something like usual so Eli and I get on either side of my mom. We both cuddle into her and she sighs, hugging us both.

Eli and mom were both crying but for reason I was numb, I was all cried out. I let them cry silently, lost in my own memories with my older sister who was also my best friend.

20 minutes later, Robert comes in with some breakfast. We all sit together and pick at the fresh fruit silently. Robert knew exactly how these days went, no one said anything.

No one eats much and more than half of what he cut is taken back downstairs by him.

"You both look so much like her," my mom cries, her voice breaking.

No one says anything.

"Mom?" Eli questions softly.

"Yeah baby?" My mother replies.

"I miss her a lot." Eli says absentmindedly.

Tears instantly begin falling from my eyes at his words, he was only 11 when it happened.

"I know baby, we all do," Mom responds softly, her voice cracking from her still crying state.

I don't know how long the 3 of us stay like that, in bed, cuddled together, but by the time I look at the clock, it's already 3:00 pm. The rain still pours down, I felt like the sky understood how I was feeling.