~44~

Brighid stood on the doorsteps of her house waiting for her mother to come to the door. It was a weird feeling, being a stranger to something that you've grown up in.

She looked into the windows to find none of the lights on and the car not in the driveway. She headed back to Nathan's car hopping into the passenger seat.

"No luck?" Nathan asked.

"Guess she's not home" Brighid said.

"Hey, just know if you need a place to crash your welcome at mine and Haley's" Nathan said.

"Thanks" Brighid muttered.

"So how are you?" Nathan asked. Brighid furrowed her eyebrows at him.

"Fine I guess" Brighid answered.

"Fine isn't a good answer. Really how are you?" Nathan asked once more. Brighid stated at him for a second before breaking down.

"Did I ruin my life? Did I fuck up? Is mom right?" Brighid snapped. "I'm trying to play house to prove what? To mom? She clearly won't be coming around anytime soon. She's voiced her opinion on the matter. Dad is a whole other topic I'd rather not discuss. You, you went and got married without even telling me. I thought we told everything to each other... at least we did when we were kids" Brighid began tears sobbed down her cheek, leaving faint tear stains.

"Brig-"

"No Nathan. We truly fucked up. We let our emotions get the best of us. I should have just stayed with basketball, gave Jenny up for adoption. Listened to what dad said. We should have never talked to Lucas, got involved with him. We just should have stuck to what we knew best. Pleasing dad and go along with it" Brighid finished. She sighed letting out a big sob.

She was hunched over resting her head in her lap.

Nathan sighed loudly.

"Nothing would have changed us being in this position. Dad would have driven himself to having a stroke one way or another. Mom and Dad would be getting a divorce and I would not be leaving at home. Don't think this was preventable Brighid. This was far from preventable. It was also destined to happen" Nathan finished as he pulled up to his apartment.

The two got out of the car and hugged for a minute or so.

"By the way you're not playing house. Neither of us are" Nathan said. Brighid smiled for a moment. They walked up the stairs and inside to see Haley looking at them worried.

"Went bad?" Haley asked fearing the tears were from Deb.

"She wasn't home. How about we make cookies or something. You can lick the spatula" Nathan teased.

"Woah Nathan letting you lick the spatula that's a big deal" Haley teased hugging Brighid before grabbing the flour and stuff. The three in a slightly cheery mood began to make cookies.

"So knowing Brooke what should I expect tonight" Haley asked looking nervous as she folded in the chocolate chips.

"Something big, flashy and so not your taste" Brighid commented back. Haley rolled her eyes looking even more worried.

"But fun. Brooke knows how to have fun. Enjoy every minute of it" Nathan said wiping flour on Haley's face. Haley in return threw flour at Nathan and a few seconds later flour was flying through the air.

The three laughed, having fun, being carefree and most importantly acting their age for once.