1.24

I came home after the movie night late. I had to find a ride home, luckily I found some girls I knew from school and they were able to give a ride.

The house was dark and I immediatly went up to my room, I took a shower. Wiping all the dirt of my skin, my neck was slightly bruised but not a lot, my knuckles still hurt, and I only hit Rafe once, I can't imagine how the other might feel, they had a full on fist fight. I looked at myself in the mirror for a few seconds, the person I've become. And I'm saying I've changed much. For the ones who are not paying attention to me, will see the same of Jessica Tornthon, but once you closer, you'll notice a girl who is not the same girl she was just weeks ago. Surfing was her life, her brother was her biggest enemy but also her best friend, she'd stay home every day in summer. And now, a girl who is just her brothers enemy, who goes out early in the morning and comes back with bruises on her body late in the day. I haven't been surfing for weeks now, I haven't even thought about surfing. Before this all happened I would visit my aunt almost every day. I haven't seen her in a while. And that all for a blonde haired boy from the wrong side of the tracks. What a cliché story...

______________

I woke up the next morning with my sheets scattered over the bed, pillows on the floor, and I was curled up in a ball taking in the smallest space possible on my king sized bed. The sun was burning in my face, forcing me to get out of bed and do something. My whole body was sore but I stood up anyway ignoring the protests of my screaming muscles.

I showered and put on jean shorts and an oversized shirt, I put on a pink bathing suit underneath.

I walked downstairs and made a smoothie for breakfast, I walked onto the porch with my smoothie in hand and walked towards my mom, Topper and deputy Shoupe on the porch.

I leant against the doorframe and listened in on their conversation. "Now, Pope is 16. Could be tried as an adult. He'd do time." Deputy Shoupe said. And I immediatly stood up straight from my previous spot against the wall.

"Hold up, Pope?" I asked, acting oblivious. But really I was just wondering how they'd find out it was Pope, and why they haven't mentioned JJ nor me.

"Yes-" Shoupe started but was cut off by an angry Topper.

"Yeah, Pope. Your little innocent Pogue friend did this, and now he is going to pay." He spat.

"You can't do that, he is going to lose any chance he has of getting that scholarship. And how are you even sure it is him." I protested, stumbling over most of my words because of how scared I was for my friend.

"Security camera's dumbass." Topper mumbled.

"I wasn't talking to you." I spat towards Topper as I shot him a sideeyed look.

"Kids who are cut out for a scholarship do not sink boats, Jessica. Can you now finally see what kind of people you decide to be friends with." My mother said, her head held high, like it always is, trying to show of her picture perfect life, with her - not so - picture perfect family that no one should ever mess with. "Press charges."

"You know, Heyward, uh-" Shoupe started, but got cut of my mothers protests.

"Deputy, I said press charges." She demanded.

"Yeah, all right. We're on it." He said as he started to walk off, my mom first to follow soon after.

"Happy?" Was the last thing I said as I went inside, leaving a rather looking upset Topper outside. Which I did not understand, this is what he wanted.

I tried to slip out of the door before Shoupe did, driving to Heywards as soon as I could. Hoping to catch Pope there and warn him for what is about to happen. I broke every speedlimit and I was sure I had to apologise to as least 6 people for breaking traffic rules, but I had to get there earlier that Shoupe.