1. i knew you

3 years later

It was cold out today, I could see my breath in front of my face as I walked down the stairs quickly

"Bye, Dale!" I waved to my downstairs neighbor while took carried his garbage to the trash cans. He grunted in response which wasn't surprising, Dale wasn't much of a talker.

The snow crunched underneath my cute boots as I made my way down the sidewalk, and I pulled the olive green beanie on my head down to cover my ears more. I had on one of those puffer coats that are borderline obnoxious, but it kept me warm in the freezing temperatures that February brings to Manhattan.

I liked to think I'm finally acclimated from the Florida weather I was so used to, but some days it was still a struggle.

I swung the door open to my favorite coffee shop and smiled at the familiar face behind the counter.

"Hey babe, your hazelnut latte is ready and I'm toasting your bagel right now!" Rose was the best. I met her in this coffee shop the first week I arrived in New York and she promised me she could make my favorite latte in all of the East Village, and maybe even the world.

She wasn't wrong. I've lived in the East Village for three years and she's never made me a bad latte, they're always perfect.

The bagels are made by her brother, Sebastian, and they are also absolutely mouth-watering. He has a fresh jalapeño, cheddar bagel full of cream cheese, bacon, tomato, and avocado waiting for me every other morning.

The Marino family was pretty much my own family now, they kept me fed and cared for and even hung a stocking for me at Christmas. They may be the only reason I survived the first year here, it wasn't easy being in a city where I literally knew no one.

I hadn't told anyone where I was really going when I left the day after my graduation. I told my family I was going to LA. I didn't want them to be able to find me, I wanted nothing to do with the world they lived in...even Liam.

Some days I missed him so much I couldn't get myself out of bed, but I knew it was for the best.

He found me once. He called my new phone number and I answered, thinking it was my door dash driver. He was so angry, he didn't form coherent sentences.

He just kept yelling, "WHERE ARE YOU, ASH!?"

"WHY DID YOU LIE TO ME?!"

I was crying so hard I could barely answer him. I told him I was sorry, and that I missed him. I told him I was safe and happy and I didn't want to be found. I didn't want to be involved. As much as it hurts, I knew I made the right decision.

I walked through the crowded shop, tripping over a rouge stool before I finally made it to the counter, grabbed my breakfast, and kissed both of the eldest Marino siblings on their cheeks. I threw a $20 on the counter and made a mad dash for the door, listening to them yell at me about paying while I scurried back outside.