Chapter 63: Not All's Forgotten

"Are you ready?" I hear Matteo's gruff voice on the other side of the door.

Zipping up my suitcase, I mumble a quiet, "yep."

Hailey stands from my bed, gently placing Mirabella down. Taking a few steps towards me, she places her hands on my shoulders, and looks into my eyes. "Are you sure you want to do this?" She asks. "Matteo can go alone, he has the power-"

"I'm sure." I state firmly. There is no way I'm backing out now. Not once I've already made my choice. My friend's life is on the line because of me, and therefore it is my responsibility to get her home safely. No matter the consequences. No matter what may happen to me - As much as I dread to think about it.

"If you want to call me at all... Even just to ramble on about nonsense - Don't hesitate. I will be here, waiting eagerly for you and Matteo to return home, with both Dante and your friend." Hailey gives me a small, reassuring smile, though something tells me, that even she doesn't believe that we'll all make it back.

Some part of me doesn't believe it either.

I have almost no clue what I'm stepping into. I've never met my evil brother, and I have no idea what lengths he is willing to go to achieve what he wants. And I'm not even entirely sure of his wants at present. All I can hope for is that Matteo is more powerful than him.

Wow.

If I had been told this was where I would end up, after being kidnapped and tortured by an infamous mafia leader, I would've never believed it. If I hadn't been kidnapped, I wouldn't have even known that I have a brother.

I wonder how different my life would be. Good, different, or bad?

"I will." I say, touching Hailey's wrist. "But I'll be fine, we all will."

Her smile falters, and she finally lets go of my shoulders.

"Hurry up!" Matteo's voice interrupts us once again.

Hailey and I both laugh awkwardly, while I grab my suitcase and head towards the door. Opening it, I find Matteo dressed in sweatpants and a loose fitting white shirt. Definitely a change from his usual Armani suit.

"You finally ready?" He asks once again, and I nod my head.

Hailey comes up behind me, with Mirabella in her arms, slowly waking up from her short nap. "Alright, well I'll see you guys..." Her words fade when she realises she has no idea how long it'll be until we return. "I'll see you guys soon."

I step out of my room and head to the door, leaving Hailey and Matteo to say their goodbyes. I turn around to see them in a bone crushing hug, with Mirabella between them. Matteo whispers something into Haileys ear, and she smiles sadly. She looks almost like she's at the brink of tears, and then she whispers something back.

Finally they let go of each other, and Matteo gives Mirabella a kiss on her forehead, before heading over to me. "See you." I smile at Hailey, and she smiles back, wiping her eyes.

Grabbing my arm, Matteo pulls me towards the front door, and outside of the penthouse. Instantly we are bombarded with almost half a dozen security, who escort us downstairs to Matteo's car.

"Where's your bag?" I ask, noticing that Matteo has nothing but the clothes on his back.

"All my things are already there." He says, answering my question.

We enter the building's lobby after a long and uncomfortable elevator ride, and that's when I notice even more guards stationed around the place. "Sir, your vehicle is waiting." Alistair states.

"Thank you, Alistair. Your services are no longer needed." Matteo says.

"Yes sir." Alistair replies. "Thank you."