chapter four [ edited ]

Marinette's POV (At school)

"Alya... I need your advice on something." I nudge her with my elbow as we carried our food trays to the lunch tables. "Sure, Mari. I'm always here for whatever ~love~ advice you need." She smirks at me as we reach our seats. 

"Wha- How did you know it was love problems?" I asked, secretly thinking if she's a mind reader. "I saw your eyes today. Dreaming about someone new. It didn't look like your usual 'obsessed-with-Adrien eyes. They said 'i-met-someone-new.' So, who's the lucky guy?" She pushed to know all the answers.

I groaned. "I don't know yet. But I need your advice. Okay so, Adrien, as you know is super nice and adorable and makes me feel all rainbows and sunshine inside. I can't keep my eyes away from his handsome face. But the new guy I've met is flirty and cute. He knows when to playfully tease me and when to be a good listener and listen to me." I tell her in the vaguest way I can explain Chat Noir. 

I may be okay telling Alya about our encounters but I can't disclose to the person who owns the Ladyblog that I casually slept in the same bed as Chat Noir. 

"Well, I think you should take time to observe both of them. Adrien looked at you in a new way today. I can tell there's something going on inside him and we're gonna figure out what it is. And after you realize who makes you feel the warmest and fuzziest inside, well. That's your man." She chuckles.

"Okay, thanks, Alya," I tell her with a genuine smile plastered on my face. I hope to see Chat Noir again soon. "No no, girl. My advice isn't for free. Who's the lucky guy?" She wiggles her eyebrows at me.

"Als, I can't tell you just yet. You're gonna have to wait and see." I smirk at her and she frowns playfully. Then, there's a mischievous glint in her eyes. "What are you up to?" I drag out the last word as I know she's thinking something.

"I'm gonna make you fall in love with guy #2 so hard, that you'll have no choice but to talk about him all the time. And when you talk about someone all the time, you eventually say their name." She closed her eyes as if she's agreeing with herself.

"Mhm, good luck with that." I shook my head and look away for a brief moment. As I did, I saw Adrien hanging out with his friends. But in that one moment, our eyes locked and we stared at each other for about 20 seconds. The bell rang, pulling us out of our daze. 

I got to class on time but I wasn't paying attention. I was thinking about Chat. My poor kitty, I hope that he understood what I tried to tell him. And I hope that he's not feeling as sad as he did yesterday. We have patrol today as Ladybug and Chat noir. Usually, I would love to wear my suit. It makes me so much more bolder and confident. But the confidence I found in my everyday clothes is making me want to be myself around Chat.

-- 
Adrien POV

I sit on the sofa for a while after fencing class. I don't have time to fall asleep as I have patrol in a few minutes, but I'm exhausted. "Adrien, aren't you gonna go visit Marinette?" He said as he stuffed cheese into his mouth. "Not yet, Plagg. I have patrol with Ladybug at 5."

I hope I can make it back before it's too late to visit someone. Not that I cared too much yesterday when I visited her at 10:30 in the nighttime. 

I pick up my phone and see that it's already 5. "Plagg, time to go. Claws out." I say and a rush of adrenalin shoots through me as I transform into Chat Noir.

--

On Patrol / Adrien POV

"Hi, Ladybug." I greet my partner as we land on a rooftop together.

"Hi, Kitty. How are you lately? The last time I saw you, you were a little off?" She asks me. So, she noticed. It doesn't make me as happy as I would've gotten a week ago. 

"Yes, Ladybug. I'm okay. Thank you for asking." I reply briefly.

"Kitty, you're not calling me m'lady or bugaboo anymore. Did I do something wrong?" She asks, pain reflected in her eyes. I look away, hurt. She wanted me to stop calling her that and now that I have she misses it? I can't call her those nicknames anymore. They give me false hope, that we might be more than friends if I keep fighting for it. 

"Oh- yeah, I've found someone else," I said quietly, shocked at myself for saying that. Her face drops for a millisecond before she smiles a fake smile at me. "Oh yeah? Who is the unlucky girl?" She fake chuckled. I looked away once again, I couldn't see her sad, but she hurt me too. 

"I'm not sure you know her but, it's Marinette." Her face lights up for the smallest time. "Really?" She asked quietly as if she can't believe it. "Y'know it's not that unbelievable that I found someone else," I say sourly.

"That's not what I mean. I just got excited because she's my friend. She'd be good for you." She says to me, her face a light pink. "I wish you the best of luck with her. Shall we continue our patrol?" She asks. I nod and we leap off into the Paris sky.

After the Patrol / Marinette's POV

I sigh dreamily as I flop onto my bed. "Tikki!" I squeal. "He thinks of me as more than a friend. And the true me, not who I pretend to be when I'm Ladybug." I say daydreaming about his handsome features. The Paris sunset lighting really does him good. Like really, really good. 

"Marinette, whatever you're thinking of do not say it out loud. I don't want to see you getting horny over Plagg's owner." She said, her face etched with disgust. I shoot her a glare. "I'm not getting horny over him," I say as I hear familiar knocks on my trap door.

My face lights up with excitement as Tikki mumbles a quiet "Whatever" and finds a hiding place.