-Chapter Ten-

"Fuck sake, you've got to be shitting me? How?" (Y/N) asked as he paced on the rooftops, his hands held up to his chin. His face was tainted with dirt from the damage he had suffered before and flying through the wind. No matter how bad the situation was, he was glad he had the ODM gear. He had never felt so free with it, he could open his wings and fly. Unfortunately we would plummet eventually and his dreams of flight would have to wait. 

He tapped his gas canisters, quarter left? maybe a third? At this point he was lucky he had gas, if he didn't then death was not a choice of if he had messed up but was a single path. (Y/N) sat down and held his legs, 
"I wonder if Ashley is doing ok? She went to the rear guard, she'll be with Mikasa and the veterans. She'll be fine, she's probably on the wall safe." (Y/N) thought, a brief smile crept up onto his face, that couldn't be said for everyone around him however. They were dead soldiers walking, their eyes lifeless and pale just like the dead bodies they've climbed over. He noticed Armin slumped over on a wall, he looked worse than before. He wanted to reach out for his comrade, no. His friend. It was pointless, (Y/N) held his legs tightly, possibly a natural habit on trying to keep himself warm, safe, protected. His mind curled in on itself, he was in a squad of 5. He saw someone get eaten and now his close friend was gone. 
"Oh god, is this how I die? I get trapped in a fucking cage and get torn limb from limb? Why? Why did it have to be me? Why was I put in this god forsaken world. Why? Why!?" He screamed at himself as he gripped his (H/C) and pulled, his (E/C) slowly growing a red outline as he could feel everything flooding up. His family, his friends. It was like a rock was perched in his throat, he coughed and swallowed it, he wasn't showing his weakness in front of everyone else. 

His head turned to face the HQ, it was being mounted by titans, all varying sizes patrolled the perimeter of it. They looked more like fearless soldiers than the rest of the cadets on the rooftops. 
"Place looks more like a beehive for them, the bastards" (Y/N) commented as he turned back down, at least he still had blades. If not then he'd be defenceless. He could imagine the shit that must be going on down there, more likely than not, titans are probably inside and the suppliers and either dead or locked away in a room. Cowardly but smart move, (Y/N) knew that if he was in that situation he'd be smashing through glass windows in some attempt to get a surprise on a titan or just leave and find others. 

"Oi Jean, what do we do?" Conny asked, despite everything the bald male had some emotion in his voice, unlike everyone else who spoke as if they had just returned from a year long slumber. Made him more human then the rest of them. (Y/N) smiled when he heard the voice of Conny, he always had something about his emotion filled voice that just seemed so funny and motivating to (Y/N). 
"We can't do anything," Jean slumped, his voice was broken yet there was a hint of despair that lurked inside of his voice. Jean looked up and gripped his hair with a drop of sweat rolling down from his brow to his cheek. "They finally gave us the order to withdraw. But we can't climb the wall without gas" Jean spoke, he had bags under his eyes, a black aura surrounded him as (Y/N) stood up and walked over, sitting down beside the two men. 
"I can't believe this is how it's going to end, because of those damned cowards." Jean spoke, his voice was nothing less than pure honesty. Anyone could tell that he was feeling awful. His eyes spoke more words than he did with his lips. These heavy bags that laid underneath, cold, brown eyes which shook like they did when they did the snow training. 

"You mean the senior officers don't you?" (Y/N) asked as Conny turned to face the two, giving them his attention as he had a frustrated expression stitched onto his face.
"Where are they?" He demanded as he threw his arms down "Did they all die or something?" Conny looked down at Jean which he responded bluntly.
"If they loss their will to fight, I can understand why..." Jean's voice was dry, now thinking about it, how long had they been at this for? All this exercise and flying dried everyone out and now look at them. "They abandoned their duty to supply us with gas and barricaded themselves inside... And of course, titans swarm the castle so we can't go and get it ourselves." Jean explained as he looked down at the paling red bricks. Conny's expression changed,
"So we have to take the chance!" He yelled at the male, sweat oozing down his skin, (Y/N) blinked and sighed, "We've got to take on those titans! It amounts to the same outcome if we sit here! The titans are sure to be here as well!" Conny yelled, Jean's expression was unchanged, like it was branded into him, his eyebrows furrowed down and his lips closed. His eyes devoid of joy. (Y/N) sighed, what Conny was saying just seemed way to optimistic.