Chapter 76

Chapter 76

Shannon’s P.O.V:

It’s funny how the mind works. I distinctly remembered telling myself that I was going to work harder and put more effort into my college work for the remainder of the year. I even meant it, too.

Sadly, it took less than twenty-four hours for me to break that promise to myself. And I wasn’t ashamed to blame it all on Nick. Okay, maybe that wasn’t fair. It was entirely my own fault.

The very next morning after I’d had my little revelation that, no I didn’t have a hope in hell of passing my exams, I skipped my classes in favour of spending time with my boyfriend.

My only excuse was that I’d missed him.

When I finally made it home from Nikki’s, so full of junk food I could barely walk, Nick had already left for work and I’d immediately felt the few co-dependent tendencies I was ashamed to admit I had flaring up. So I’d ended up spending Paddy’s day doing pretty much nothing and avoiding all things green.

Not that Nick had complained. He was as bad as I was, though that wasn’t much of a comfort if I was honest with myself.

Even though I’d basically just sat around all day and did a minimal amount of exercise, it still left me feeling tired, and just generally lethargic. So when my alarm rang this morning, I rolled out of bed, determined not to make my laziness into more of a bad habit than it already was.

“Why are you up so early” Nick groaned from within the depths of the cocoon he’d made out of the duvet.

“Because I have to go to class. And no, you won’t change my mind, so don’t even bother trying.”

He grunted before falling silent, which I immediately took to be acquiescence. I headed for the shower, thinking about the only bright spot of my day to come.

Adrian and Katie were coming to visit. They wouldn’t arrive until later so unfortunately I couldn’t really use it as an excuse for being distracted. I was still excited, though. I couldn’t wait to see them.

When I was showered and dressed, I stepped lightly over to the bed, sitting on the edge of the mattress beside Nick’s curled form.

Sleepy brown eyes looked up at me, a small smile playing across his lips.

“Are you sure I can’t tempt you to come back to bed?”

I grinned.

“You’re such a bad influence on me.”

He wrapped me up in his arms, pulling me down until I was cradled against his warm body. I let him, knowing that I was in no rush to get to class. I didn’t technically have to leave for another fifteen minutes, and I’d happily make the most of each and every one of them.

“I know I am” he agreed.

I pillowed my head in the hollow of his neck, noting with amusement that nothing in his tone indicated that he particularly cared that he was a bad influence. I pressed a kiss to his throat, slipping a hand around his waist, my eyes falling shut.

“I wish I could just stay here” I murmured.

“But you won’t” he pointed out.

“No” I agreed, luxuriating in the feel of his hand slowly gliding up and down my back.