Chapter Seventeen

Avalon woke up the next morning to the feeling of the sunlight hitting her cheeks. Xavier was already awake, his forehead close to hers as he watched her shift in his arms, a smile painting its way onto his lips before he whispered a greeting to her, his voice still raspy from the night's sleep. A part of her was anxious about how much of the night he recalled. He seemed rather calm, but did he truly not remember her entering his mind? She wasn't too sure. So, she made sure to ask him about his night.

It didn't take long for her to conclude that he didn't remember anything past Madam Bardot giving him the pain-relieving potion-- it appeared as though her prying had, indeed, been erased entirely from his memory

He was in quite good spirits as he pulled her in for several short-lived kisses, whispering sweet nothings into her lips as he held her closer and closer until Madam Bardot finally came over and cleared her throat behind them, lifting the silencing charm that had remained over Xavier's bed during the night before she told Avalon it would be best if she went back to her own room for the time being, so the Healer could do a couple of final check-ins with Xavier before discharging him from the Hospital Wing.

The cheeky boy stole one last kiss from Avalon's lips, earning a pointed glare from Madam Bardot, before he told his new girlfriend to be ready for the Quidditch game later that day. Avalon laughed, agreed, thanked the Healer, and began making her way out of the Hospital Wing.

She mulled over how being in a relationship with Xavier could undoubtedly be the perfect opportunity for her to find a home within his heart and perhaps earn access into the Slytherins' inner circle. She needed to truly be a part of their group to ensure that she could be fully trusted and sworn into their secrecy. If dating one of the boys was her best way in, then so be it.

Obviously, Xavier knew more about Tom's plans than he let on, and she was determined to find out everything that he held stored within that mind of his.

Two Horcruxes. Only two Horcruxes stood in the way of her and completing her mission. Between her and saving the wizarding world that she knew and loved.

As she made her way out of the room, her eyes landed on Nott, who was sitting up in Rosalie's bed with a wide grin on his face. His blonde girlfriend was now wide awake, her cheeks flushed a soft pink and her laughter echoing through the room. Avalon couldn't help but smile at how much happier Nott looked now that Rosalie was awake and seemingly doing well. As she looked around the Hospital Wing, she noticed that most everyone was awake and in much better spirits this morning. A couple of Healers were making rounds and checking up on the students, but it appeared nearly all the injuries had been healed overnight. Thankfully, the new day seemed to have brought a new sense of life back into the Hospital Wing that had been riddled with nerves and grief only the night prior.

On her walk back to Ravenclaw Tower, Avalon noticed that something had shifted. Things were different-- the people that she passed by in the halls no longer avoided her eyes. They didn't turn to their friends and whisper to each other. They didn't move quickly to get out of her way.

A couple of students smiled at her. One even waved.

It was as if her reputation around the school had changed overnight. She was no longer Avalon Hendrix, the violent Durmstrang transfer. She was Avalon Hendrix, the girl who fought bravely against members of the Alliance... and won.

----

Several hours passed, most of them spent napping as Avalon realized she hadn't had a good night's sleep at all while cramped in Xavier's hospital bed, before it was time to start getting ready for the Quidditch game.

The room was oddly quiet, and Avalon found herself humming a soft tune to herself as she tossed on a black dress, coat, and shoes before brushing her hair in the mirror. Zelda was still nowhere to be found, which was strange for her.