Goner (Connor x Reader)

If you were to say you didn’t visit detective Hank Andersons home regularly, anyone who knew you well enough would know you to be lying through your teeth. Indeed, you were the odd one out in your neighbourhood. You’d made a habit of visiting your next door neighbour a good 6 months ago, after helping him get home after a night of heavy drinking for the 12th time that month. It was hardly a grand affair. Show up with some pizza, turn on the basketball and making regular notes on his alcohol consumption as you talked bullshit like normal. Keeping an eye on him. It was a good reason to visit, but it wasn’t the only one.

“Ahhh, Sumo!” Sitting on a rug on the floor of Hanks home, you wasted no time in pressing your face into the short hair of his pet Saint Bernard, who made a gentle noise in response. There was more rubbish on the floor than normal, with dust filling your nose and dirt tracking the carpet. It hardly mattered, though. You were willing to brave it all for Sumo.

“Christ, you could at least try to hide that you’re only here for my dog,” Hank grumbled from the kitchen, watching you lay flat on your stomach, poking Sumo’s paws. That was hardly true, and he knew it, but with the long day, you’d had you didn’t have much energy to argue.

“You can’t prove that.” You laughed in response, squeezing the dog tight. Your vision obscured, you could only listen as Hank gave a long sigh, followed by the sound of footsteps far too perfectly paced to be his.

“I doubt that’s very hygienic.” Connors’ voice reached your ears as you pushed yourself up and out from your new dog-pillow. Connor was a new addition to these late night… whatever you wanted to call them. Regardless, it was interesting enough to have a new person added to the mix, but an android? Working with Hank? You never thought you’d see the day where he’d happily occupy a room with one, much less share his work.

Staring down at you with an analytical gaze, Connor tilted his head. He did this a lot when he talked to you. You wondered if he’d mastered the understanding of human individuality. Judging by the range of facial expressions he made whenever you or Hank did something different, you were going to go with no.

“I don’t care about hygiene, I have a dog.” You responded, the logic in your reasoning clear to nobody but you.

“Those two statements don’t have any correlation.” His perfect brow creased, and you fought to keep a snort of laughter from escaping you.

“Yeah, they do.” You responded, laying your head on Sumo’s stomach with a smile. You could’ve sworn you heard Connor sigh, could androids do that? You honestly had no idea. Such obsession with animals was about as human as human traits could come. Could androids understand that? Could they replicate that? You were curious Noticing Connor was beginning to tire of your antics, you pushed yourself up into a sitting position, poking his pant leg to get his attention.

“Hey, you should come down here and pet him.” You suggested it with a smile, brow creasing as the LED on the side of his head flickered yellow for a moment. What was that?

“I’d… rather not.” He responded, before shuffling his feet and looking away from your face. You raised an eyebrow at the shift, he almost looked like he felt awkward. Not that he didn’t look awkward all the time.

“You don’t like dogs?” You asked. They could be unnerving animals you supposed, but Sumo was hardly scary, and he couldn’t get sick from him. Or the rubbish on the floor, for that manner. Was that what Connor was worried about? You were ready to tease him when he spoke first.
“I like dogs.” He responded quickly. Impulsively and indignantly. It took you by surprise to hear such strong emotion come from someone so… stiff. You leaned back, resting your elbow on your knee as you gestured to Sumo.

“Then just come and pet him. You’re not gonna die just cos you’re lying on a dirty floor.” You never thought you’d see the day where an android was so hesitant. With great pause Connor stiffened, and then knelt down, resting a hand on Sumo’s head. You raised a hand to your mouth, trying to hide a giggle.

“You gotta go big, Connor.” Shuffling closer on your knees, your arms wrapped around Sumo like you’d done a billion times before, blocking out the rest of the world as you squeezed. Sumo let out a quiet woof, and you raised your head with a bright smile, turning to look proudly at Connor.

“See! He likes…” You began, before cutting yourself off abruptly as your eyes fixed on Connors’ face.

You’d never seen someone look so gentle. His brown eyes held the dog in a gaze full softness you’d only ever seen in films or tv shows. They flickered over Sumo’s breathing form slowly. Or maybe time had just slowed down for you? Still staring, you noticed the short strand of black hair hung down onto his forehead. Looking at him now, it seemed the only bit of him that was asymmetrical. Yet still, it looked so perfect. Longer, you stared at his smooth skin, and the singular, subtle freckles you’d never noticed before, dotting his face. As your eyes traced lines between them like a constellation, your eyes fell to his lips. Just in time to see the corners perk up in a small, but genuine smile. Had Connor…

Had Connor always been this cute?

You felt your mouth go dry.

“He, uh… he… he likes…” You stuttered, feeling your cheeks grow warm as Hank let out a long, half-tired, half-disgusted moan. Your hand moved to cover your cheeks, but Connor seemed to hardly notice. He was far too preoccupied with Sumo.

“He’s a good dog.” You settled on, swallowing the dry feeling as you did your best to look anywhere else but at Connor.

“He is a good dog.” Connor conceded, managing to catch you wandering eye with another smile, this time directed towards you.

Oh, good god, were you a goner.