Chapter 65

Eric was, forcibly and unknowingly, able to clear up any confusion I had over the days' events and things to do with Helda. I had, much to Hannes' displeasure, decided to join him, Elijah and the Elders in going to the prison in which Eric was kept.

There had been a small conversation between Elijah and Hannes about whether or not they'd walk Eric to an interrogation room instead of speaking to him in his cell, but it was decided soon after Eric decided to fling himself at the bars in fury that that proposal was dismissed.

Instead, Hannes, Declan and Elijah entered his cell, whilst Athena, Helmitch and myself sat outside of it, perched on a fairly stable wooden bench. The prison had a strange, almost overwhelming odour, but I was determined to stay and listen to Eric.

My hand still held the ice packet tightly to my head as I sat, which looked a bit comical according to Helmitch, who too disapproved of me being in the prison, but I ignored his comments and gave most of my attention to Eric's words when Hannes eventually got him to talk.

Helda had, as I'd suspected, been in contact with the council of Corozal and had relayed information to them, particularly about when Hannes had left the pack and when he'd be returning. This had led to them attacking when he wasn't present and when everything had seemed mostly peaceful in the pack. The cellphone in which Helda used was given to her by Elijah, who clearly hadn't known what Helda truly had intended to use it for.

The Alberrechians and the Corozal people had indeed been working with each other, and had been planning to attack the Wildeland pack even before Hannes' warriors had killed several commanders.

However, once I'd been taken back to Wildeland, Eric and Helda had discussed briefly about what her role would be since she knew that the chances of her coming to the pack was high, and it was then that they'd planned to have Helda murder me.

According to Eric, Helda had been able to speak with Bronwyn and figure out that she wanted me dead. Helda then had conspired with Bronwyn, who had her own reasons for wanting to kill me; those reasons didn't particularly matter to Helda. The end goal was to have me gone, and they both strongly shared this objective.

Bronwyn had made the potion, Helda had bought the cake mix, and the toxic cake had been made with both of those ingredients and several others.

That plan hadn't happened evidently, because I had not died, but if it had worked, Eric had assumed that the Alpha and the pack members would have been mourning the loss of the luna, which would thus leave them vulnerable. It was then that the Alberrechians' and the Corozal's armies were supposed to attack Wildeland, and wipe out each lycan in the pack, as they had with Woodsworth.

When I didn't die, another plan had to be created and set out, which led to what had happened recently. The council had decided that it would be best that Helda assist in having me kidnapped after the pack was invaded, and they would then make it seem like I would not be given back to Hannes unless money was exchanged.

The money would have been used to buy weapons or other deadly machinery. The Alberrechians and the Corozal people had also assumed that they would have won the battle.

Sadness could be heard in Eric's voice when at one point he derailed from the topic that Hannes had asked him about. Eric spoke of Helda, and how she'd been caught roaming a village after becoming intoxicated and leaving Corozal. The village had then been attacked and the Klawmoon pack had taken her and several others to their prison, where she'd been held for several years.