Twenty Seven||Stranger Danger

The dangerous place that Baylen had led me to was a cafeteria. There were multiple tables to sit at, and there was a buffet line full of different kinds of food. It smelled delicious in here, causing my stomach to gurgle and clench.

"See," Baylen laughed. "I told you it was a dangerous place. I don't have enough fingers to count the number of times I could have slipped into a food coma here."

"Number of fingers or number of brain cells?" I joked. He turned to me, mocking a hurt expression as he walked backward away towards the buffet full of food.

"If you continue talking to me like this, I will resign as being your guard." He said this to me like it was a threat. I laughed and shook my head. It felt good to laugh with someone, to let go and feel free. I think it was in the air because in here, I felt like a different person. I felt like I could be a young girl again, instead of being that girl whose only thought was to survive. But I wouldn't let my guard down. I had to stay aware of my surroundings and of anyone who could be a potential threat.

Kayne and I followed after Baylen, who immediately piled his plate full of food. I kept watching in surprise as he continued to add more to his plate. His stomach must be a bottomless pit.

"After this, I think you should go and have a bath," Kayne said beside me as we sat at one of the many empty tables.

"Why?" I shoved a piece of roast beef into my mouth. The meat was juicy and full of flavor. I had to hold back a sound of pleasure.

Baylen sat across from us, waving his fork in my face. "Leave it. It's a good look on you. Makes you look like a warrior." His smile held dark humor that reached into his eyes.

"What do you mean?" I rubbed a hand on my cheek.

Kayne leaned closer to me, his hot breath tickling the hair around my ear. "You have demon guts all over you."

My mouth fell open. "You've let me walk around looking like this?" Apparently, the look on my face I was giving them was humorous as they started laughing at me. I glared at them. "Schlamp's." I quickly ate my food and avoided looking up as people entered the cafeteria.

Unfortunately, the group of people decided to sit at the table with us. I could feel their gazes on me as I took a bite of fried potatoes. They were buttered heavily and had lots of seasoning. My mouth watered for more, but someone decided to speak up. I felt very conscious of my face at that moment.

"So, you're the female dragon rider." His eyes were a deep shade of blue, and his hair resembled the colour of wet dirt.

I looked around at the table, feigning confusion. "Oh, you're talking about me? I thought you were referring to Baylen.

"Why, you little worm feeder." Baylen glared at me.

The other rider barked out a deeper laugh than the rest. His green eyes twinkled with humor. "We're going to get along just fine." He laughed again. "I'm Fin, and this is Tomi." He pointed to the rider with eyes the color of the ocean. Toe-me, I pronounced his name in my head. Interesting.

"Navi." I extended my hand, shaking theirs with a firm grip.

"Tell us, Navi, were you really living on that dragon island?" Tomi asked.

I felt Kayne shift in his seat. "Come on, fellas. You don't need to pry."

"It's okay." I turned to Kayne, smiling softly. Turning back to the other two, I nodded my head.

"That's pretty cool," Fin said, eating a piece of meat. "You surviving there and all. I wouldn't expect it from someone like you."

"Because I'm a female?" I squinted my eyes at him.