Chapter 28

A few rings later, Luciano picked up the call and said, "Hello?" It was the middle of the night and I expected him to be asleep but he wasn't, he was awake, probably planning on killing other witches.

Witches were my sisters as Gretel had told me. We were one and we were born to protect each and other.

"It's me, Red." I replied in a cold voice. My eyes looking outside the large windows of the lounge room as I leaned against the glass.

"Red, oh, are you okay? Where are you? Tell me, I'll come get you right now—"

"I don't want you to," My hand trembled as I tried to keep the phone close to my ears. It was difficult breaking things off with Luciano but just before I did all that, I wanted to know whether it was true, whether whatever Gretel told me was the truth or not.

"What?!" He exclaimed, "Where are you? Just tell me, okay? It's will be fine,"

"I'm fine and I don't want you to come looking for me. I just called you to ask you something," It took control.

"What?" Luciano asked. "What it it, Red?"

"Have you killed any witches in your time of ruling?"

"Does it matter?"

"Yes, yes, it does." I breathed, holding onto hope.

The line fell silent. Luciano didn't say anything and it made me come to an conclusion that Gretel wasn't wrong, all those witches that had been telling me their stories weren't wrong.

"So, you did."

"It was necessary. Witches were a threat to us, I had to kill a few of them," He said like it didn't mean anything, like lives of witches were nothing. "But, I wouldn't harm you, Red, I would never and I had stopped, I don't kill witches anymore."

"Oh," I licked my lips, "So, you're telling me that last night your men didn't kill any witches?"

It went silent again.

"Well, we had too. It's self defense. If we don't kill them, then they will kill us,"

"Oh, stop it!" I exclaimed, rubbing my fingers across my temples. "You have killed innocent witches, and I know. And, hearing it from others just made it all worse. I thought you didn't kill anyone until it was absolutely necessary but you have, you have even killed children!"

"Red," He stopped me from speaking any further, "Listen to me. Forget this. Tell me where you are and I will get you. We will talk. It's not a big deal,"

"No, no," I groaned, shaking my head. "I don't want to talk to you. I don't want anything from you. And, I don't want you looking for me ever again,"

A tear slipped out of my eyes and went down my cheeks. I loved Luciano and I still did but he wasn't the same man I knew. Over the month, I learned that he was different and he hid it all from me. He never showed me his evilness, never told me about his past, hid the fact that he was evil. I wouldn't have been in love with him if I knew this all, if I knew that he had killed innocent witches that meant no danger, that he had blinded women like Faye and killed her children.

The sad thing that was disheartening me was the fact that I learned it all through other people, that women came up to me over the months, telling me about Luciano's viciousness and I never believed it until I heard from his own mouth.

"Listen to me," his voice begged, "They are turning you against me, they want that. They are filling your mind up—"

"Then tell me that you didn't kill innocent witches that meant no harm, tell me your men didn't kill children, tell me anything that will soften me." I stated, hoping he'd say something but he didn't.

"I won't lie. I am not proud of my actions but I've changed, you know I have. I haven't killed anyone in a long time, Red, you know that." He argued, his voice stiff as he spoke with me.

"I'm sorry, I can't trust you,"

"Really?" He poured out his anger, "Really? Is this how it's going to be now? What the fuck is wrong with you? What has gotten in your mind? Tell me where you are and I promise, I promise that I will kill every single woman—witch that has spoken to you. Try me,"

That was him.

"Goodbye and stop looking for me, I don't want to be found." I whimpered before cutting off the call and blocking his number from the phone.

With a torn heart, I fell on the ground and gathered myself in the corner. Sobs broke out of me, splitting the silence in the lounge room as I cried to myself. I didn't want any of this. I wanted to be with Luciano but he was another man. He treated me differently because I was his mate or else, he'd kill me as well.

When I felt miserable, I turned to Gretel and went to her room. She got off the bed and looked at me, switching on the night lamp.

"I've spoken to Luciano, he won't be looking for me anymore." I said, placing the phone over the night table. "And, I have thought about what you've told me earlier." I trailed off.

A few days back, Gretel told me something, something that was cruel, something only she could do.

"About?"

"About breaking the mate bond. I want that. I don't want to be connected with Luciano anymore. I don't want to be his mate," I replied, my shoulders stiffening. The mate bond heightened my feelings for him. Once destroyed, I couldn't be forced into loving him and bearing all this pain would be easier—for both of us.

"Are you sure you want to do that?" Gretel asked, hopping off the bed. "It does require a lot of energy. And if things go wrong, there is a chance you'll hate Luciano for the rest of your life and that, it can't be undone."

Without giving it another thought, I nodded my head, "I want it. I don't want to be his mate,"

Gretel grinned at me, sharing a look, "Be ready then, I will have the witches by sunrise, and I'll need your blood for the spell. A lot of it,"

The flesh where I had bore Luciano's mark pulsed and throbbed as I agreed to Gretel.

Read the full book on patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr