Lucky Day (Connor x Reader)

Connor was nervous.

He knew he shouldn’t be, he’d done every calculation, done every single equation and planned out every little detail for perfection. Tonight was going to be calm, it was going to be romantic, it was going to be perfect.

But he was still nervous.

At least he assumed this was what that feeling was. His mechanical parts felt off, his body felt lighter. It was like he had a human body, and was reacting as such. Blue blood rising to his cheeks and ears, leaving him with a very obvious and mortifying blush. And that was only because he’d seen you.

He’d said dinner, and was half praying you’d wear something generic and comfortable to at least save him the embarrassment of stuttering and stumbling over words like an infant, and not one of the most hi-tech androids to have ever been created.

But he was speechless in front of you, fingers holding open the door to a car he had to beg Hank to let him borrow, watching your formal and well-dressed self glide into the car seat, an anxious lump forming in his throat.

Why had he only worn a button up and trousers? Why had he not followed Hanks advise to accessorize? Thinking back, men he’d seen on dates always wore ties or cufflinks and other shiny and interesting items. He just looked plain, and that wasn’t good enough. Certainly not for now. Certainly not for you.

Your fingers brushed his forearm lightly, and Connor looks down to see you reaching out, tapping him back into reality. He could feel his mouth go inexplicably dry.

“Do you want to get in the car?” You ask, biting your lip to hold back a laugh as he jolts to attention, walking briskly to the cars other side before getting in, fumbling with the seatbelt. Once finished he glanced straight ahead, hands tapping on the steering wheel, eyes flickering to you.

“You look- Your hair is, uh. Changed.” He says dumbly, as you purse your lips to hold back a smile, blushing just a bit at what he can assume is his awkward nature. So much for being romantic.

“You look very handsome.” You tell him, and Connor wonders to himself if there’s a way to subtly vent the rising heat in his power core. Why, earlier in the week, did he think he could do this? Everything had been calm, and then you’d come into work with a bright smile and some new clothes telling him about your day and he’d let spill feelings he’d kept bottled up for months on end.

He didn’t know how, or why you’d said yes.

“I can’t believe I’ve known you nearly a year now.” You said as he started up the car, leaning back in your seat. His eyebrow raised as he looked briefly, to find you looking back at him with a gentle smile.

“It feels like I’ve known you longer.” The quality of time certainly outweighed the quantity, and accidentally taking part in a revolution that you were built to end certainly made for some quick bonding experiences.

“I feel the same.” Though time was different for him. He’d known you what felt like his entire life because it was close to. Nearly a year since his last body had been destroyed. Now that he knew this form was final, it made him all the more appreciative of time- moments like these.

“Eyes on the road, Connor.” You said with a smile, catching him in the corner of your eye as he flushed and looked back to the road.

The place you were headed wasn’t far. A small Italian place you used to visit with your family. Connor estimated around 13 minutes 38 seconds until they got there. Which meant he was going to have to make small talk.

“Have you-”

“How did you-” You two cut each other off, going into embarrassed silences as your eyes fixed back on the road. Connor cleared his throat.