Chapter Eighteen

I didn't know who was more reluctant for Kaz, Claude, and San to leave— Kaz, or me

Claude gave us both an exasperated look as Kaz refused to leave with him and San, hanging back for a moment longer.

"We'll be back before you know it," Kaz said to me, but also sounded like he was reassuring himself as well.

I grinned. "I'll be fine. Have a safe trip. Let Adora know I miss her."

"I'm sure she would appreciate a text from you."

I blinked. "Oh. That's true. I don't know why I didn't think of texting her. I guess I've never really had anyone to text before. I'll make sure to do that."

Kaz watched me for a moment longer, a frown pulling at his lips. "Cleo..."

"Yeah?"

"Can I ask you a favor? While we are gone can you please not go and see Felix? I trust you to keep yourself safe, but Felix clearly has no self-control."

Why was he bringing up Felix— oh. Right. My face flamed, and I struggled to keep my expression neutral. Kaz had seen everything. "Well, I'm suspended anyway, so I won't be going anywhere," I told him.

"I don't want to sound like I'm controlling you."

"You don't, don't worry," I assured him. "I know you're already wary of Felix. I appreciate your concern, Kaz. Really."

Kaz still looked unsure. "When it comes to Felix, don't mention anything about him to Claude, okay?"

"Huh? Why?"

Before Kaz could respond, the door swung open again. Kaz started, twisting around as Claude came strolling back into the room. Well, shuffling back into the room. No matter how much he claimed he wasn't injured that badly, I was sure it hurt to walk. The slight slump he had gave it away, too.

"Here," he said, tossing something at me.

"What—" I scrambled to catch the object, yanking my hands back the second I realized he'd tossed an unsheathed dagger at me. It landed with a soft thump on my comforter.

Kaz's eyes nearly bulged out of their sockets. "Claude!"

"Keep that with you until you can get yours," Claude said to me. He then turned to Kaz. "Let's go, Kaz."

"You threw a weapon at her," Kaz said, but still began to follow Claude out of the room.

"With barely any force."

I picked the dagger up, flipping it over to examine the blade. Sleek and razor-edged.

"You're really something," Kaz muttered before pausing at the door and turned back to me. "See you tomorrow, Cleo."

I waved the hand with the dagger in it at him. "Okay. See ya."

He blinked before running a hand over his face. "You both are something else."