Chp 3

Hermione's Pov

"Crookshanks?"

I gently opened the door to my room and peeked inside. My bed was just as I had left it and neither of the curtains to my window had been moved.

Careful to not leave too wide of a gap, I slid into the room and shut the door behind me. This was the last place he could have been.

I scanned the room, searching for the slightest sign of a certain orange cat being here. For months, the two of us have been here, and yet, Crookshanks still refused to come willingly downstairs to get his weekly bath.

Each time mum or I would get it ready, he would take off and try to hide somewhere. Leaving us with no other choice but to hunt him down.

I sighed and crouched down to look under my bed. Not there. There were only a few places in here that he could hide, so if I was lucky, this wouldn't take long.

My eyes landed on the space under my desk. I crossed the room and pulled out my chair, ready in case something would have shot out, and tried darting for the door.

No such luck.

I huffed in irritation. Not only did he do this every week, but to make things harder the little rascal never hid in the same place twice.

Currently, my parents were searching downstairs. Occasionally, the sound of a cabinet closing or a door opening would travel its way upstairs.

For all we knew, he could have been outside somewhere and we were just wasting our time. It wouldn't be hard to imagine him trying to sneak up on another poor unexpecting mouse or shroud.

That was another privilege that I had attained since Crookshanks and I migrated to Australia. Unlimited amounts of rodents for him to chase, and if he was successful, I would have to dispose of the little gifts he would bring home.

Lucky me.

"C'mon Crookshanks," I said, pulling out one of his favorite treats. "If you come out, I'll give you a snack . . ."

Still no response.

I tip-toed over to the bathroom and yanked open the door. "AHAA!"

Empty.

Accepting my defeat, I turned to leave. But before I could reach for the handle, I felt it. A soft gentle breeze on the back of my neck.

I've got you.

As quietly as possible, I walked over to the sliding glass door of my shower and stepped inside. Above the small tiles that outlined the shower, sat a small little window.

A small window that I had left closed.

Careful not to slip, I balanced myself on the built-in seat near the back of the shower. He wasn't escaping this time. Holding my breath, I reached back into my back pocket and pulled out my wand.