Chapter 7 - Goonjh (گونج)

The Habibs arrived at Khan Haveli. They were greeted in by Qirat. Everyone was present in one of the halls. Where the flooring was covered in white sheeted carpets and cushions. People were forming little circles almost and were all reciting a part of the sacred book. There was almost a segregation between women and men. Where women occupied the right half of the hall and men the left half.

Laiba saw Pareesa in one of the crowded circles and made her way to her. Pareesa who was reading looked up and her mouth hung open in shock. Laibas dupatta slipped of her head and her hair was quite a shocking site. It's not that Pareesa didn't like the cut, it somewhat suited Laiba, but she always knew her love for her long waist length dangling hair. She quickly covered up her shock and continued reading again. She was finishing of the last few lines when the baby in her lap began crying. She finished the lines kissed the book and passed it to Laiba for her to place on the table.

The men of the family had now left to the mosque. And the women began serving food to guests. And seeing them off one by one. When everyone was fine and it was almost evening the men returned, and they decided to have tea before heading of to the peers shrine.

Bilal saw laiba walking around with Pareesas daughter in her arms. He rushed to her, he was so mad at her, two days ago they had an important presentation about sustainability of the environment and this girl had bailed out on them. Him being the goody two shoes and geek he was, he was fully pissed of at her.as soon as he saw her he rushed her way. "Laiba" he called her out making her turn to face him. She gave the kid to Pareesa and head his way.

Without doing any formalities he jumped straight to the point.
"Kaha thi tum! Na phone utarahi ho na kuch..presentation ke din ese kese ghayab hogay..hum sabke grade ko risk karke.."he began scolding her.

"Bilal" she whisperd.

She finally found him!
She knew Bilal was the one she could tell what happened. Anytime someone would be inappropriate with her, be it from school, college, university or anywhere, Bilal always had her back like the bro he was. Finally having found him she was relieved. But he just began scolding her. She looked down to her feet ashamed, she knew exactly how much his grades meant to him. And she was guilty of having affected them.

"Acha abh itni khamosh kyu khari ho..nahi daatra..sambhaliya tha humne presentation ko..tumarey bhi number theek thaak agaye" Bilal said now getting worried over this non responsive and passive Laiba.

She looked up and slipped the dupatta of her head properly.

"Yeh yeh yeh kya karliya?" Bilal asked throwing fits of laughter, but then he masked his serous face again seeing her offended. When she was silent too long he got worried again.

"Acha chalo chai peete hein" Bilal said changing the topic.

The elders along with Pareesa sat on the patio furniture placed in the garden, drinking tea, discussing some family politics. Whilst, Bilal and Laiba sat at the steps that descend from the haveli into the garden.

Taking a sip of tea, when laiba saw Bilal lifting his brows, questioning her to speak already, she spoke.

"Kisi ne kaha usey mere baal passand hein..tho mene dediye apne baal usey"

"Yeh kya baat hui?"

"Tum sunogey ke kon tha tho pagal hojaoge"

"Kon tha? Woh tho nahi joh library ke bench pe beth ke tume ghoorta rehta hai?...abhi theek krta hu.."

"Nahi woh nahi tha"

"Tho phir bata mujhe..tum batao tho abhi theek karta hu beghairat ko"

Intekhaab✔️जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें