LIV

"Can you tell me--" Frank began, glancing away from her for a moment, but still watching her through the corner of his eye. "About your past?"

She blinked a few times, shocked to find him asking her something, and genuinely for that matter. She took a deep breath through her nose, the images of her past flashing through her mind. She never expected he'd ask the same question back to her, and so suddenly. She had no time to prepare mentally, but she knew she wanted to tell him.

"I didn't mean to ask," he said quickly. "You don't gotta answer."

"No, it's okay," she said, giving him a small smile. "Like yours, mine isn't that great either."

He turned his head finally, looking her in the eye. 

"I don't remember too much about my childhood and what I do remember--" she laughed sheepishly. "Aren't happy memories." He watched her and listened, awaiting for her to continue. "My parents fought a lot. They were never married, they just lived with each other because they had me and Fury and well...I guess they thought the most logical thing to do was stick together even though it was so clear they despised each other."

She raked her brain for memories, thinking back on her dark and traumatic past. "My mom catered to Fury the most, raised him up close with the club I guess. I was always stuck at home with my dad and he was always drunk," she gulped, swallowing the large lump in her throat. "I remember my mom being in the hospital--" she laughed cynically, close to tears. "Don't you find it sad? The one crystal clear memory I have of my mother is her on her death bed. God, I remember it and I always will," she took a deep breath, shutting her eyes for a moment. "She was skin and bones by then and she had given me her necklace--the one I gave you--and she said 'Pretty girl, I know I wasn't always around with you. I catered to your brother and left you to the beast and for that I'm sorry. It's okay if you cannot forgive me but I want you to know that you are the strongest little girl I have ever met, hang onto that. You'll find your way, I know it.'"

By then a few tears fell down her cheeks and she quickly wiped them away, fighting the urge to fall apart completely. "I wanted to hate her. I wanted to hate her as much as I hated my dad but I couldn't. It took her dying to finally realize the wrongs she'd done as a mother and it was so unfair because after all this time I could never bring myself to hate her," she said, so much pain in her voice at the one and final memory of her mother. 

She rubbed her eyes quickly, giving a weak smile to Frank. "After my mom died and my father--apparently--faked his death, I was sent to an orphanage. Roman Catholic Church of Christ and Gothic relics. The lady who watched over all the girls was a nun named Sister Giselle," she shivered at the sound of her name rolling off her tongue. "She was a mean bitch. She always believed it was against God's will if any of us were happy because we were--what she called--rejects of the Lord. And well...I was always making the other girls laugh and for that she'd punish me."

"God's will? What horseshit. She'd baptize me which was borderline drowning. She'd lock me in solitude confinement and tell me to pray away my sins. I'd be locked in there for days without food and water," she chuckled, though. "It was all worth it to me, I made the other girls' times better and made their lives worth living with just the slightest bit of laughter I could bring them. I don't regret pissing that old bitch off."

He shook his head, finding that that was definitely a Charlie thing to do and say. "Well, we're both a little fucked up, aren't we?" he chuckled, making Charlie smile widely.

"Perfect for each other," she said, leaning her head on his shoulder. 

"I'm surprised you can smile like you do," he said mindlessly, deep in thought. "After all that shit...I wouldn't be able to do it. Hell, I couldn't."

"Don't get me wrong," she began, lifting her head away from his shoulder and staring off into the distance. "It was no easy task but I just...I just kept telling myself things would get better. There were so many times I wanted to give up completely..." she sighed. "But that changed for the better when I showed up here. It's like I found the one thing my mother left behind that had become my home. But no one could've prepared me to meet you." 

She laughed happily and he scoffed at her, shaking his head. "Is that supposed to be a bad thing, woman?"

"'Course not," she smiled, looking him in the eye. "You became my home."

His neck could've broke with how quickly it snapped towards her. He choked on his breath for a moment, staring down at her as his heart pounded in his chest. She smiled brightly, laughing at his sudden reaction. 

"What?" she asked innocently.

He lifted his mask so quickly and grabbed her face, kissing her so passionately it melted her. He was so deeply in love with her, the feelings he had for her was what made life worth living. It had given him a strength greater than his physical strength. Every fiber of his being wanted her to be in his life.

He pulled away from her, his steel eyes looking into her blue ones with such burning passion.

"Marry me."

Don't be mad at me for this chapterrrrrrrrrr XD

The next one will be the last chapter for this book and I couldn't be more proud of the turn-out. I never expected to get such positive feedback on this story and such beautiful readers that made this all worth writing. 

As I promised, I will be thoroughly editing this book and self-publishing. This won't happen until next year but I will continue to keep you updated. 

Please read Dragon and give it the same love as you have given this one. 

I love and appreciate you all so much, thank you.

With care,
D. M. Brightwell