chapter eleven

~Marley~

~Marley~

Marley had woken up that morning prepared for a day full of uneventful nothings, hoping that the emotional world wind that she had been in over the past two weeks would finally calm down.

The sun shined brightly into her room as she rose slightly from her bed, her eyes droopy from the intense slumber she found herself consumed in the night before. She could hear heavy rock music coming from the otherside of the wall that connected her room to Luke's, and as much as she would like to pretend she hated it, she was happy that he was still enjoying bits of the broken life they all had been living.

She makes her way over to the window as she opens it slightly, the gentle breeze of the cool summer morning instantly stumbling into her room as the curtains danced in response. Her eyes train on a ray of light shining into her room, a gasp leaving her slightly parted lips when it leads to the record player in the corner of her room.

The object hadn't been touched since Luke brought it into her room all those months ago. He had been clearing the basement out - trying to decide what to throw away - when he found the player along with an abundance of records their father had collected over the years. He had known how much those had meant to both Marley and her father, explaining to her that it wouldn't be right to just simply throw them away.

She glanced out the window, rolling her eyes playfully as she said, "A little obvious huh dad?"

She approached the corner of her room slowly before sitting down, crossing her legs in front of the large record player. Her fingers grazed over the wood as she opened it slowly, the creaking sound caused a smile to form on her face as the smell of smoke and peppermint hit her nose. She had always loved the smell of cigarettes as it reminded her of her father, the way that they would sit on the porch talking aimlessing as she ate her strawberries. It was something that had always been done together, and now the familiar scent hitting her nose had her mind flooding with memories. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

She looked down at the crate next to her, taking a deep breath before slowly opening the box. She worked her way through the old, paper thin sleeves of the records, each one hitting a different way than the last. It was until she stumbled upon an old favorite that made her laugh wholeheartedly as she wiped her tears.

It had been an original printing of Fleetwood Mac's album Rumors, carefully picking it out of the crate to place it under the needle. The record cracked through the speakers as the familiar tune flooded the small space she sat in. The intro to the song made her heart skip, thinking about the memories of her and her father aimlessly dancing around in the basement as they played this record as loud as they could. She stood quickly, humming along to the tune as she danced slightly around her room, trying to enjoy her life the way her brother had at the moment.

The two styles of music clashed as they carried through the vents, neither of them caring as they were both in their own little world.

She managed to clean her room and change before the record was over, smiling in content as she peeled the record off the player, sliding back into the sleeve before turning off the record player and closing it. She made a mental note to listen to the vinyls more, not being able to miss the way she had felt connected to her father.