32: michael

devon was not dead. devon was not even in a coma. devon, in fact, had left the scene of her accident with a mere bruise on her left arm and a small scratch on her forehead. however, she was trapped in the hospital, under observation until the doctor deemed her ready to be released.

"bring in the boy," a nurse barked as devon looked up from her sitting position on a hospital bed. the emergency room was now buzzing with noise; with frantic doctors trying to help this unknown boy reach a hospital room in time. devon furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, but decided to wave it off, as it was a big city and she probably didn't know him.

however, she had found it strange that marina had came to visit her and michael hadn't. marina said she had called michael informing him of the accident and that he wassupposed to be on his way. even her parents already had time to rush to the hospital and cause a scene in the waiting room.

this boy was rushed past devon so fast that she couldn't get a clear glimpse of his face. "can i go now?" she asked her nurse. all she wanted to do was leave the hospital and forget everything that had happened. she just wanted to see where michael was and why he hadn't come to visit yet.

"you need clearance from the doctor, but i'm sure it will be just fine. i'll ask now." the nurse left devon's area and shut the curtain behind her, leaving devon alone to herself. this gave her time to examine the bruise on her arm, which came from her minor collision against the steering wheel. the bruise was turning a nasty purple color.

the nurse returned quickly, telling devon that she was fine to leave. devon thanked her and rushed out, finding marina in the waiting room. marina was pacing back and forth in worry, with small tears tracking her face. the sight of devon made her eyes widen and her steps to carry over to her best friend. she engulfed devon in a giant hug, making her wheeze. "oh dev! i'm so sorry, i'm so so sorry, i don't know how you're handling this so calmly but - "

"handling what?" devon asked suspiciously, gently pushing marina off her. "what happened?"

a look of realization crossed marina's face, quickly followed by a look of regret as she knew she would be the bearer of the news. "devon... i know why michael didn't come visit."

"what? why?"

marina took a shaky breath and wiped away her tears. "michael rushed over here as soon as he got my call. he drove. and he was in such a rush to see if you were okay that he... he..." she trailed off, unable to finish her thought without her voice cracking. "devon, he got into a car accident. a more serious one. and he was rushed to the hospital and i don't know if he made it."

devon closed her eyes and processed each of marina's words carefully. "mari," she started cautiously, "when did he first arrive?"

"i don't know, about fifteen minutes ago?"

devon fought back tears as she ran back to the front desk. "hi, i'm looking for a boy who just came in about fifteen minutes ago. michael clifford? colorful hair, tall, the most attractive boy you've probably ever seen?" she said so quickly that she wasn't even sure if the attendant had heard her correctly.

"michael clifford? you can't see him right now, but i'll check his condition with the doctor and get back to you," she replied, leaving devon on the verge of a panic attack.

tears gathered at the bottom of her chin, one drop after another and fell on her shirt. there was no way that gypsy lady was right. it was just a fortune telling. it was fake, fake fake. at least, that's what she tried telling herself.

things didn't exactly turn out the way she had hoped.

michael gordon clifford passed away on august 27, 2014 at 10:53 pm. his last thoughts were not of the truck hurling towards him, or the panic he felt in his lungs, but of the beautiful girl that he knew he would not be able to touch or see ever again.

-

WELL AH FRICK I AM THE WORLD'S SHITTIEST UPDATER

hi guys! what's up! how's everyone's winter goin! good! good!

just poppin in to say hello and say that i love you all for reading especially after i havent written in like 2 months :-))

i love you i love you i love you and i'm gonna send you all bunnies and blankets xoxo