23

right where you left me

"THAT'S IT, JUST WATER FROM THE TAP?"

Grams looked over her shoulder at Elena, raising an arched eyebrow. "As opposed to what?"

"I just figured maybe it would have to be blessed or mystical or something."

Athena rolls her eyes, her nose scrunching up at the sound of Elena's voice. "You're such an idiot."

Elena's jaw dropped slightly and Stefan sighed, looking down at Athena. "Apologize, please,"

"Fine," Athena scoffed, fluttering her disdainful gaze onto the girl. "I'm sorry you're such an idiot."

Stefan heaves a sigh, shaking his head exasperatedly. "That's not– just come here," He wraps an arm around Athena's shoulders and pulls her away from Elena before her verbal assault escalates.

Damon shakes his head, reaching into his jacket pocket to pull out a blood bag.

"What's that?"

The black-haired vampire looks at his brother. "It's for Katherine. Gotta have something to get her going. Unless Elena is offering a vein to tap."

Athena hid her wince, shifting uneasily beside Stefan as she watched Damon fidget mindlessly with his hands in anticipation. She wanted Damon to be happy, and if being with Katherine made him happy then she would do whatever was necessary to get her back. But she couldn't help but feel like Katherine wouldn't do the same for Damon.

If Damon had been trapped in a tomb, rotting slowly for the better part of a century, would Katherine put her life on the line and hundreds of others just to see him again? Without even knowing if she was in there in the first place, or if she even still loved him?

Perhaps Athena just hadn't found someone willing to do all of that for her, and therefore was unable to imagine doing it for anyone else. Perhaps she was being close-minded or selfish, but she couldn't seem to drop the feeling of dread in her bones.

Turning her head towards Damon, she can't stop the concern from creasing her forehead ever so slightly. "Are you sure you want to do this?"

He furrows his brows, shrugging at her. "Of course. Why wouldn't I be?"

Athena went to respond but stopped when she saw Bonnie turn towards them.

"We're ready."

"I, uh," Elena shifts uneasily. "I guess I should go get Anna."

The doppelgänger is quickly waved off on her task, and Athena tucks her hands into the pocket of the brown peacoat she would've forgotten if not for Stefan's hovering.

"So," Bonnie stands, looking at the trio before her. "When Elena gets back with Anna, we'll get her in the tomb with Damon. Once you two are in there, all you have to do is find Katherine before Anna finds her mother, and get out in time for us to put the shield back up."