Chapter 21. Return

"Wake up"

Olivia widened her eyes, jolting awake into a sitting position as she looked around her cell with a confused look.

The feeling of fear came back to her once again when she was reminded of where she was. She had fallen asleep and was surprised she was even able to; her tiredness had won over her consciousness last night. There were no windows to be seen, but she assumed it was probably morning. In front of her cell stood Lady Sophia, who had a cruel smile painted on her flawless face.

"Hope you slept well." She said mockingly as Olivia made no attempt to look up at her.

The back of her head was hurting, probably because she had laid it against the rough stone wall all night instead of a soft, silk pillow like she was used to. Her legs were dirtied and scratched from the floor, as well as the palms of her hands. Footsteps echoed loudly, getting closer and closer until eventually a shadow cast over her and Lady Sophia was now standing inside the cell inches in front of her.

"What did you do to Alistair?"

Her voice was rough and dry, it had been a while since she had drunk water.

"It's none of your concern."

"What exactly is your plan? When Lord Nathaniel returns he'll get me out of here."

A chill pervaded the air, the silence stretching as she hardened her gaze at the human.

"And what makes you think you'll be alive when he returns?" She retorted to see the girl shudder slightly at her words.

Olivia's eyes widened as her bottom lip trembled.

Was she really going to kill her?

Her heart was pounding furiously in her chest and her face had quickly turned pale. The girl slowly lifted herself off the ground, struggling against her chains as she looked at her in the eye. Her weak hands curled into fists as anger welled up in her.

"You won't get away with this, you'll pay for-"

Feeling a sharp sting on her left cheek, Olivia let out a yelp as she plummeted to the floor. Tears pricked her eyes as she lay on her side, stunned into silence with the stinging on her cheek still there. It all happened so fast and after blinking a couple of times she realised she had been slapped.

"You just don't stop talking do you?" Turning to the guards, the vampire nodded and left the cell.

The guards then began to enter as the sound of their stiff boots became louder and louder. As they neared her, she curled into a ball on the floor, whimpering and shaking in fear that only grew every second. Her head was buried in her hands, wanting to wake up from this horrible nightmare.

When she closed her eyes, she tried her best to imagine she was somewhere else. She thought back to the night she fell asleep next to the Lord. She thought of how safe she felt and tried to imagine that she was there and not where she was now.

The girl let out a weak cry, feeling a strong kick against her stomach. The pain was agonizing, it paralyzed her whole body and she felt like she was going to throw up. Not a second later the other guard continued kicking, and she protected her stomach with one hand while the other protected her face. All air had left her body, and her head grew dizzy as she struggled to catch a breath.

All she could do was lay there, begging and pleading for them to stop as they continued.

After what seemed like an eternity, one of the guards finished with one last kick to her leg. She gasped for air once they stopped, coughing and almost choking on her own blood.