The Wife (3)

THREE | SECRETS DON'T BETRAY ME

"Apparently the wife is coming back." Lizzie says, scoffing. There is a hint of anger in her voice, she rolls her eyes. "Little does she know Thomas and I will continue getting to know each other." Spinning around in her chair, she winks at Linda and Polly.

"Well I guess now I do know." I put my hands on my hips and watch as misery marks Lizzie's tart face. She looks rather disturbed as the other women gasp in sheer contentment.

It's Polly who marches right up to me and embraces me so. I crumble in her great arms and leave a kiss on her cheek, "Look who came back from the dead." She smirked. "God I've been dreaming of a bit more entertainment."

"Luckily I heard you." I laugh and pull away, studying her, I get lost in her brown eyes. "My God Polly, you look more marvellous than the last time I saw you."

"Yes, perhaps it's because I found love. I don't know," She waves her hand at me, revealing a shiny ruby on her ring finger. I gasp and catch her hand midair and look at the dazzling gem that sits in a pool of gold. "Engaged!" I gasp.

"Yes! To be married, of course."

We hug again, and I squeal. I'm terribly excited for Polly, I recall being in Birmingham months ago and urging her to date. Polly's a bloody catch, and nothing but.

The door opens to his office and he appears to be angry. "Can you have your conversation outside?"

"Oh shush you." I snap. Walking towards him I pull off my gloves and politely place them on Lizzie's desk. Surely, the help knows where to put my belongings.

She watches in envy as I walk up to my husband and throw my arms around his neck. I leave a soft kiss to his lips, and my lips tingle from the electricity between us. Thomas leans in, expecting more, but it's me who pulls back. Withdrawing from temptation. "Say hello to me." I whisper.

His eyes drop to my lips. "Hello you."

He's in a trance, and he doesn't know it but he's ignited a flame in me.

I find myself staring directly into his eyes, so blue and familiar. And yet, Tommy is in a suit and his hair is different. God, he's aged so much since coming back from France. It scares me. He scares me. Morphing into some stranger who has aspirations that are out of this world it seems like. I sigh, tilting my head wondering where the old Tommy is. Sure, the money is excellent and he's an absolute legend, but my oh my do I miss my soft Tommy.

"Come on," he says, and takes my hand. We walk towards his office, and he opens the door for me.

Again, I melt at the thought of him being romantic and thank him. His office door shuts and Tommy follows behind me. Mentioning the couch, I sit down and cross my legs. My see through stockings show, I wonder if I still drive my husband insane. I wonder if I still have the ability to do his head in. With my hand, I cover the stocking with my dress. Even if I did drive him mad, I was still pissed off at him. I didn't want to tease him. No, I didn't want anything to do with it.

"Did you hear me last night?" He asked, sitting down.

I purse my lips, wondering what he's talking about before remembering stirring awake to the sound of Tommy moaning my name. He knocked so gently on the door to my bedroom, and I remember seeing the doorknob twist. I was so exhausted that I fell back asleep, I had assumed I was dreaming though.

"You were drunk, weren't you?"

He didn't stick around for dinner, and his fridge was empty. I had to go to the meat pie store and pick up dinner.

"Thanks for the meat pie." He said, which made me shake my head.

"I shouldn't have brought you anything back." I cross my arms over my chest. That flame he ignited in me multiplies and I point to the door to his office. "Getting to know a whore like Lizzie, are you?"

He rolls his neck, "Jo."

"Seriously, you're a foul, foul person." I tell him. "You scolded me for meeting other people, meanwhile you've been sticking your cock in her!"

My face sours remembering what he said yesterday about bringing back other women, I turn my head in disgust. I can't even look at him now.

As I raise my voice, Thomas grabs a cigarette and lights it up. He doesn't give me the attention I so desperately craved.

"I shouldn't have fucking come back is what I shouldn't have done."

"Fuckin' hell enough!" He snaps.

"No! Not enough. I'll never stop talking about this because how do you expect to work on things when you're screwing your employees?" I ask him. "How?!"

"Do you want the girls to hear you?" He hissed. "Lower your voice, Joanna."

I scoff. "To be completely honest, I don't give a fuck who hears me."

"Right because you crave attention." He nods. "You've always been so desperate for attention, haven't you Jo."

"At least I know my worth." I tell him.

"What do you mean, ey?"

"I mean," I state, and get up. "Enjoy fucking around with Lizzie, because I'm done."

"Where do you think you're going !" Tommy shouts as I walk away. "Joanna!"