Dating

Asami was really, really nervous.

As much as she didn't want to be, she was. Possibly because she'd never dated before, or maybe because she was forced into having a date with someone she legitimately hated. But it was most likely because she was secretly hoping for Korra to succeed in winning her back.

She'd never admit it aloud though, as far as anyone else was concerned, she was only doing this to get Korra off her back.

She wasn't rooting for Korra, no way.

But what do you wear to a date with someone you're supposedly aren't interested in but in reality you're really, really interested in?

Because on the one hand, she wanted to keep up the facade of 'I hate you, let's get this over with,' but on the other hand she secretly wanted to impress Korra.

It'd be so much easier if her feelings were obeying her mind, but no. She had to like Korra right? Because that's just the kind of luck she has.

"Stupid heart..." she grumbled while staring at the clothing options laid down on the bed in front of her. "Stupid Korra..."

A knock on the door cut of her train of thought.

"Yes?" She called, turning towards it to see Jinora entering the room.

"Are you wearing your pajamas for your date?" She teased, stepping closer.

Asami chuckled. "Well, she did tell me to wear something comfy."

"So what are you wearing?" She asked.

Asami shrugged. "Don't know, what do you wear to a date with someone you hate?"

Jinora raised an eyebrow, then smirked. "If you hate her so much, then why is this out?" She asked, pointing her index finger to the far end of her bed, where her lacy lingerie was resting. 

Asami blushed furiously, looking away, flustered. "B-by accident..." She mumbled. "I-it just fell out of the suitcase..."

"Righhhht," Jinora stretched out sarcastically, "just admit you like her Sams, it's whatever."

"Since when are you on team Korra anyways?" Asami huffed in displeasure. 

"Uh, since she carried your drunk ass here? Literally?" Jinora said as if she's as if she's stating the obvious.

"It doesn't make up for all the other shit she did." Maybe that doesn't, but...

Jinora stayed silent for a moment, hesitating, before seemingly deciding on something and sighing. 

"I know that's not all she's done," Jinora said, turning to look at Asami in the eyes. There was something weird in them, almost like sadness displaying in her brown irises, but Asami wasn't sure why. 

"Oh?" Asami said carefully, confused as to why Jinora seemed so serious all of a sudden.

"Asami," she said cautiously, "I... know about your father."

Asami's heart sank. Her heart was beating almost as fast as when Korra found out by walking in on one of their... 'Interactions'. She didn't know how to react, and Jinora seemed to be waiting for some kind of reaction.

The thing was, ever since she left her home, she was going back and forth on whether or not she should tell her friends, but exclusively decided against it every time she reconsidered, too afraid to learn what their reactions may be.

Now Jinora is telling her that she knows? How? Did Korra tell her?

Because if so, Asami can never trust her.

"You know about my father..?" Asked Asami, pretending to not know what Jinora was talking about. "There's nothing to know, I don't know what you're talking about."

"Asami..." Jinora started, pursing her lips together.

Asami saw how unconvinced Jinora was, and sighed in defeat. No use arguing with someone who was right and knew it. "Did Korra tell you?" She asked, dread leaking out of her tone.

"What? No." Jinora shook her head. "I kinda figured it out on my own, but she did affirm it when I confronted her about It."

"Oh." Goddammit, that's not enough of a reason to hate her...

Jinora stared at her silently, bottom lip quivering, and Asami was left dumbstruck. What was she supposed to do in that situation? Assure her? What is the social protocol for 'How to act when your friend finds out your dad beats you?' Was she supposed to comfort Jinora or was it the other way around?

So, Asami went for the safe option, extending both her arms hesitantly for a hug. Jinora's eyes widened in surprise, and for a moment, didn't say or do anything, causing the overly stressed-over-this Asami to relax a little.

But then, she spoke.

"Are you sure?" She almost whispered, reverence lingering in her voice.

No. "Yes," Asami replied, trying to appear more confident than she felt, "just come here."

Jinora obliged, practically tackling Asami with a hug, holding her closely. Asami had to actively stop herself from stiffening, but she immediately started feeling very uncomfortable, anxious even. But Asami could pull through, in fact, she wasn't as uncomfortable as she thought she'd be. It was getting better by the minute. 

"He can't hurt you anymore," Jinora whispered, clutching her shoulders tighter, "he can never hurt you again."

How would she know that? She didn't know her dad, she didn't know what he was like or what he was capable of. If she knew, she wouldn't have thought Asami was safe. Asami is never safe.

Eventually, Jinora pulled away, sniffling with a sad smile. 

"Now," she changed the subject, looking back at Asami's bed, "what are you wearing for your date?"

At the reminder, Asami's eyes widened and her head snapped back to the bed. "Shit!" She exclaimed. "I completely forgot!" 

Jinora let out a still slightly laced with tears chuckle at that, and Asami was quick to understand her mistake, blushing furiously.

"I knew you cared about this date." said Jinora smugly, much to Asami's demise. "You should wear this olive green shirt, it makes your eyes pop and your boobs look great."

Asami blushed. "Fine..." She grumbled in defeat, secretly grateful for the advice.

"Pair it with the white high waisted jeans," she continued, "you're both going to be comfy and blow Korra's mind."

"I don't care what she thinks." Liar. "Let's just get this over with."

"K, I'ma step out and let you get ready, have fun." Jinora said with a wink, heading to the door. "But not too much fun."

"Jinora!" Exclaimed Asami angrily after she left, then huffed out in displeasure as she removed her clothing, getting ready.

And just as she was done preparing, her phone rang. She put her eyeliner down (which she was most definitely not wearing just to impress Korra, nope) and grabbed it, checking to see if it's Korra.

It wasn't. 

Her heart started beating faster when she saw her dad's caller ID, and anxiety started bubbling in her chest. Her thumb hovered the 'answer call' button as her breath picked up.

What if he knows where I am? What if he knows that Jinora knows? Those thoughts were just terrifying. Should she answer? What if she doesn't answer and he finds out? He'll be so so mad...

But just then, thankfully, she got a text message. 

Shortie [17:32]:
Hey gorgeous :) I'm just outside.

Breathing out in relief, Asami declined her dad's phone call. For some reason, standing up to her father was always so much easier when Korra was there. Though she would never admit it aloud, she still felt safe around that idiot.

How pathetic was that?

She turned her phone screen off and stepped outside, stopping by Jinora's room to let her know she's leaving and ignoring Jinora's blood-boiling satisfied smile. She then moved to leave the house, trying to steady her breathing.

"I do not like Korra." She reminded herself before exiting the house, but every part of her body seemed to disagree despite that, and she groaned in frustration, opening the door and going outside.

A lot of conflicted feelings filled her when she landed eyes on Korra; dread, anger, betrayal, excitement, happiness, butterflies...

Korra smiled widely her way, and Asami cursed her insides that were doing excited flips at the sight of that frustrating yet adorable lopsided grin of hers.

Speaking of which, Korra was looking good- like really, really good. Most of her hair was tied up in a bun, with two stray strands of hair falling just before her ears. She wore a leather vest on top of a white tank top that showed off those damn arms, had a wide black bracelet on her wrist and light grey boyfriend jeans. Suddenly, Asami noticed she was holding something, causing Asami to raise an eyebrow.

"Did you bring me flowers?" She asked, surprised.

"Yep!" Beamed Korra, handing her the bouquet. 

"Thats..." Sweet. "Where am I supposed to put it..?"

Korra blinked, her smile slowly fading as she looked down at the flowers, embarrassed. "I didn't think about that..."  She mumbled, a little disappointed in herself. 

Asami had to bite back a smile. She was trying really hard to show Korra that she wouldn't be forgiven just like that, but that was proven to be a really difficult task when Korra was being so goddamn adorable. So what if Korra had pretty privilege? It doesn't mean she can get away with being such a jerk

Her heart disagreed with her on that one.

"It's fine," she dismissed, grabbing the bouquet, "I'll just put that inside for a moment, wait here?"

At that, Korra's entire face lit up, and she grinned in a way that made Asami's heart flutter, and she cursed under her breath as she turned around and walked inside the house to place them inside, earning herself a 'back already?' from Jinora who just so happened to be in the kitchen when Asami walked in.

When she was done, she headed back outside to where Korra was, waiting for her in an obvious 'trying to appear cool' position. 

"I didn't say it before," she started flirtatiously when Asami got closer, "but you look absolutely stunning, like are you a 45 degree angle? 'Cause you are acute-y."

Asami choked on the words, not having expected this from Korra, aka the girl that desperately needed her tutoring, even if it was just a ploy.

"Someone did their homework," Asami said, trying to maintain her indifference, but it was so damn hard when Korra was being like... Like that!

"Just figured a genius like yourself would appreciate a smart joke," smirked Korra.

"Sweetheart, do you even understand the joke?" Asami asked with a raised brow.

Korra stared at her for a moment, reverence that Asami didn't understand in her gaze. Then, a small smile creeped to her lips. But it wasn't her usual, up to no good or teasing grin, it was one of her genuinely happy ones, the ones that had been rare on the one hand, but were also really common around Asami at the same time.

"Did..." She started, awe leaking from her tone. "Did you just call me sweetheart..?"

Oh shit.

At the realization of what she did, all of the blood in Asami's body rushed to her cheeks, completely flustered. 

"I-It's just..." She stuttered, unsure of how to get out of this one. "It slipped out! Don't you dare give me shit for that-"

She was cut off by Korra's hand on her shoulder, and was surprised by the fact that she didn't even flinch. Korra just smiled at her, again with the same soft genuine smile of hers.  

"I won't," she said, "just happy to know that you don't only feel negative things towards me."

"Don't count on it," Asami grumbled, still blushing furiously. 

Korra pursed her lips together sadly, like she knows she's terrible, and doesn't need the reminder. 

"C'mon," said Korra out of the blue, 'the cab is waiting for us."

"A cab?" Asami blinked, following Korra as she started walking. "Korra... I could just drive us."

"But the location has to be a surprise," Korra glanced over her shoulder and winked, an action that though she didn't want to admit it, made Asami burn hot from the inside out. 

Korra opened the door for Asami as they arrived at the cab, allowing Asami to enter first. She got in from the other side, sitting herself in the middle right next to Asami.

The driver started the car, and as they began driving, Korra placed her arm around Asami's shoulders.

Asami raised an eyebrow. "Whatcha doing there bud?" She asked.

"I just wanted to put my arm around you," Korra said with a mischievous grin, "because now I can say I touched an angel."

Asami gawked at Korra in disbelief, not even blinking as Korra continued grinning her way. Then, she breathed out hopelessly, pinching the bridge of her nose.

"You've touched me before Korra," she grumbled.

"Oh c'mon! That was smooth," pouted Korra.

"If you say so," Asami shrugged, looking out the window and hoping real bad that Korra wouldn't give her shit for not peeling her arm away. 

A few minutes went by in comfy silence, with Asami not even noticing how she sunk further into Korra's embrace. She let out a sigh, pretending not to notice when Korra's fingers started playing with her hair, because she really didn't want to have to stop Korra, it felt nice.

Her ringtone cut the silence off, again.

Just to make sure, she raised her phone to see the caller ID, again, and once again, it was her dad.

Her heart sank, and the next breath she let out came out in a shudder, catching Korra's attention as she looked down at the caller ID.

"Hang up," Korra said softly. 

"He won't like that," Asami answered quietly. 

"He can't hurt you anymore," Korra assured, "hang up."

And unlike when Jinora said that, Asami believed her, turning her screen off and putting her phone down.

She hoped Korra wouldn't press on the matter, and Korra seemed to have read her mind, because next thing she knew, Korra changed the subject.

"So... The weather is nice... Getting hotter every year."

Asami turned her head to look at Korra, amused. "You did not just bring up the weather as a talking subject."

Korra's lips twitched up, forming a childish grin. "I find that global warming is a great talking subject, it's a real ice–breaker."

Asami's hand had never flown so fast to her forehead, and she let out a sigh of disappointment as Korra bursted out laughing from her own joke.

"What's with the terrible puns today?" She deadpanned.

"That's a weird way to pronounce 'hilarious'," grinned Korra, "just wanted to show you how funny I am."

"Feels like you just looked up 'cheesy pick up lines'," Asami argued, a little smile forming on her lips.

"I did no such thing," denied Korra, smirking still, "but... don't Google it."

Asami rolled her eyes. "Dork."

"You like it," teased Korra.

I wish you were wrong

Soon enough, they reached their destination. Korra got out of the car first, removing her vest and throwing in back on her shoulder, leaving her in only a tank top (something that Asami greatly appreciated). She then moved to open the cab's door for Asami, who's instincts immediately told her to look at where she was, but as she raised her head to look at a building Korra blocked her sight with her hands. 

"It's a surprise," she explained when Asami dropped her gaze to look at her, turning around to walk inside, "just keep your eyes on me, you'll see when we get there."

And how could Asami not keep her eyes on Korra, she thought to herself when her gaze dropped to the tan girl's shoulders, with those fucking back muscles?

Eventually, they got to where Korra was taking them to, and she turned around to smile widely at Asami. She raised an eyebrow, studying the place. It was well lit, and was divided into three sections– an arcade, a kiosk, and most importantly, the lanes in which people were playing. 

"A bowling alley," Asami observed, confused.

"Yep!" Beamed Korra.

"Why?" Asami asked.

"Well, first of all," Korra started, "it's a fun game that has an arcade literally glued to it. And I suck at bowling, so you can easily beat me at it which I imagine will help you hate me less. But most importantly, it's traditional to eat pizza while bowling."

Asami was caught off guard with that one, and was unable to stop the way her entire face lit up. She fucking loved pizza. 

She didn't even regret it though, because the moment she genuinely smiled at Korra, a noticeable blush had risen to her cheeks, which was really, really adorable. 

"Damn," mumbled Korra, "you're so beautiful. How is it even possible?"

And now, Asami was blushing too. Looking away and tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "Just sign us up you fucking dork."

"With pleasure," Korra nodded enthusiastically, practically sprinting to the food counter.

Eventually, they got to the actual game, and Asami let her date go first, just to check out the competition. In more ways than one.

And wow, Korra was not exaggerating when she told Asami she sucked at bowling. The ball she tossed immediately went off lane and missed all of the pins.

"You know those bumpers you play with as a kid?" Korra huffed in disappointment as Asami snickered, covering her mouth with her hand. "Those should just be a part of the game." 

"Just admit you're terrible," teased Asami, grabbing a ball.

"I am," Korra agreed, "but in no context to this game."

Asami let out a chuckle at that, heading to the course and completing her turn. And what do you know? She got a strike on the first attempt. 

"Oh, you're going down." Asami grinned, folding her arms.

"I wish," Korra grumbled under her breath, almost too quiet for Asami to hear. Almost.

Her eyes blew wide and her cheeks burned hot. Suddenly, what she said seemed to dawn on her, and her hand flew to her mouth.

"Holy shit!" She blurted out, completely flustered! "I didn't mean to say that aloud- fuck Asami I'm so sorry!" 

"It's fine," Asami waved her off awkwardly, "let's just continue, okay?"

Oh god... I'm not actually enjoying myself, am I?