ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴏ

CHAPTER TWOʙɪʀᴛʜᴅᴀʏ

CHAPTER TWO
ʙɪʀᴛʜᴅᴀʏ

The Cullen house, though I'd only seen it once, didn't fail to amaze me. Even for vampires it was impressive, considering all I had to my name. As I walked toward the front door, the same colour of wood as the pines that guarded it with shade, the clothes on my back suddenly felt cheap. It was clear that Alice really had been excited for Bella's birthday: the whole house was filled from top to bottom with fairy lights and pink, fringed strings, which were glowing faintly from behind the large walls of glass that enveloped the inside rooms. The birds in the surrounding woods played a sweet tune, and I almost believed that Alice had asked them to play out happy a birthday just to spite Bella. It was something, I felt, that she would do- that she could do.

I knocked on the door, listening to the near inaudible scratch from behind it. Almost instantly, I knew it was Emmett. Only his large, impressive from could move with such a strength. But then, as quick as it had come, the noise silenced, and a low thump hit the ground behind. Turning around, I was met with Emmett, his knees bent as if he was preparing to jump as soon as his feet had connected with the floor. His usual grin was hindered by a pout, as if id spoiled something.

"Sorry, I thought it would be Bella," he said, swinging his arm around my shoulder.

Behind, the door swung open with a creak, and Rosalie stared out with narrowed eyes that I matched. Emmett would have easily known that I was, in fact, not Bella. My eyebrows rose teasingly, and he looked away. Guilty, I thought.

Rosalie finally stepped out from the doorway, an empty box in her hands and a roll of wrapping paper tucked under her arm, no doubt a present that Alice was forcing her to wrap. Her porcelain skin gleamed under the warm lights, like snow in the sun, only Rosalie was permanent, her harsh but beautiful face never able to melt.

"Bella's not coming until seven, remember?" She said, rolling her eyes at the thought.

In despite of everything- all the groans shed made, and the nervousness from Bella- I liked Rosalie. There was something about her relentlessness in the fact that her own opinions wouldn't waver, that made her some sort of anchor, of which I knew Emmett had to cling to. She was ethereal, yes, in the classic sense, but her mind wouldn't be changed by others so easily. I hoped I could say the same for myself, in some way, but I wasn't sure. Alice's insistence that I could confide in her, was proof enough.

"Come in Elide," Emmett said, moving his large shoulders to pull us forward. "Everyone's in the kitchen."

"So how come we haven't seen you?" Emmett asked once we'd made our way into the hallway, the sound of pots and pans clanging coming from the bright room ahead.