Chapter sixteen

"You guys own a hotel in Vegas? Why am I not surprised?" We were discussing our plans in the library of the devara mansion, though my mind was on Finn and west, who were currently passed out in a guest bedroom.

Bash had used his power to make them forget and sleep, I had felt unsure of letting him use his gifts on them but I had no other option. It's not like I could tell them the truth, and anyway why would I when they haven't done the same for me?

"We leave tomorrow-"

"Why Vegas though?" I sighed and sunk down into one of the leather sofas.

I watched the sunlight flow through the curtains and project onto the dusty books of the small library. I could smell the strong scent of old paper and it made me feel nostalgic for a life I haven't lived. Books did that to me sometimes.

Everson smirked, his gray eyes widening in excitement. "Vegas is swarming with Greer, I'm sure we can catch at least one that's important and make them talk. And there's also a powerful seer there who can answer the problem of where the second piece of the Vad is."

"How do you even know that?"

His grin only widened. "I'm exceptionally talented."

"I don't think it's a good idea," said Octavious who seemed to be in deep thought.

"Why?" Ever practically whined.

"Avaryn isn't trained like us to fight a Greer or to even know when one is around, it could be very dangerous for her."

"I agree," said Nyan who sat next Octavious, her hand in his. She got a determined and concerned look in her eyes. "I don't want anything to happen to her."

"Yeah but we would be around her, protecting her. I don't know if you remember but we are the most powerful Devara's. The Greer don't stand a chance."

"I agree with Ever," Kaida said. I turned to her surprised, I didn't know she could agree with anyone. She narrowed her yellow tiger eyes at me and I quickly looked away.

They all turned to Bash waiting for him to decide as they always did. Bash sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "I'll think about it." And then he left. And soon so did everyone else.

Besides Ever and I.

Ever was quite beautiful, if you got past his personality, he had luscious blonde curls, ocean eyes that had a hint of gray. High cheekbones that nobody should ever possess, long eyelashes that even I envied.

He smirked when he noticed me staring. "See something you like?"

I rolled my eyes. "Why do you do that?"

"What?"
"Pretend to flirt with me."

"Who says I'm pretending?"

"Please," I over exaggerate the word. "You are not interested in me at all."

"How would you know?"

I think of his thoughts, his feelings that I accidentally felt. The way he looked at Octavious. "Because I know."

He leaned forward from across from me. "There is something I've been meaning to ask you princess."

I felt like punching him every time he called me that. "If you call me that again I'll-"

He smiled wiggling his eyebrows. "Punish me?"

I groaned and shook my head. There was no use with him. "Ask me what you want."

"Why did that Greer call you 'Little Thief'?"

I froze, everything in me stopped. Little thief. The thought of that name made me feel shameful. Guilty. Why would he ask that? What do I even say? I couldn't lie, he would know, he's smart enough to put two and two together. I breathe in. When someone asks you a question that is meaningful to you, you ask them one that's just as hard for them. "I'll answer your question if you answer mine."