Chapter 29

Sunday was pretty much the same as any other day. My three youngest brothers were gone most of day, probably hanging out with one of their friends, which I was grateful for. Fabiano used to be semi nice, but now acts similar to Luca and Matteo. I wonder what happened to the boy that stayed with me after my nightmare.

Trying not to give it too much thought, I just lounged the entire day and texted Val. She seems to still be struggling with the idea that she is a part of a gang and I feel bad for her. I can tell that she isn't one to really fit in with that type of group, but she has to learn how to. From what she tells me, she is terrible at fighting and Cole is even trying to teach her, but she hasn't had any luck. The only advice I could give her was that she had to keep on trying for the sake of her safety. If there was one thing I know about the mafia, it is that weakness is not tolerated.

Honestly, I wish I could help her more since she is miserable, but unfortunately, I can't. She doesn't know that I fight and I still need to tell my brothers the truth about her, which probably won't go well. Maybe my three eldest brothers won't care since she is the only friend I truly made, but my younger ones definitely will.

On Monday, Nic takes me to school again, knowing that I would do something that I would regret if I was in the car with my other brothers. We make some small talk and I decide that if anyone with accept my friendship with Val, it is Nic, so I tell him the truth.

"Hey Nic. If I tell you something, will you promise not to get mad?" I ask.

"When you say it like that, it must be something bad. I can't promise not to get mad, but I will try not to be too angry."

"That works for me. So you know Val, my only real friend that I have made her. The only friend I have that is a girl, right?" I say, trying to smoothen the blow.

"Yeah, where is this going?"

"Well, as it turns out, she is a part of a gang known as Demoni Della Notte.(Demons of the Night) You've probably heard of them."

"What?! When did you find out?" He said, trying to take some deep breaths to calm down.

"Umm, the day after I stayed home because of the nightmare. Please let me stay friends with her. It's nice to finally have a girl to talk to." I plead.

He has a sad look on his face. "I'm sorry but I can't give you a definitive answer. I have to talk to Lorenzo and Savio about this. With Cole, at least Liam was there and you guys aren't technically friends. I will allow you to talk to her today, just make sure that your other brothers don't learn about the gang thing."

"Okay, thank you." I notice that we are at the front of the school and I start to get out car. Before I do, I tell Nic goodbye and give him a kiss on his cheek.

Once he leaves, I walk through the school doors and make my way to the lockers. I see that Cole is standing in front of it and I debate on just skipping my locker for today. But then I realize that my English textbook in there.

Deciding to just ignore him, I walk to my locker and grab my books. Before I could leave, Cole steps in my way.

"May I help you?" I ask politely.

"Yes, actually." He said.

"Well then, let's walk and talk. I don't want to be late for English." I say. I start walking and he soon joins me.

"So I know that the project is due on Wednesday, but I need help with the essay portion." He said nervously. I don't think that I have ever seen him act like this.

"Do I really scare you that much that you are nervous to ask me for help? Or have you never had to ask for help before?" I say jokingly.

"Haha, very funny. Look I'm being serious. I have seen you write and can tell that you are good at it. Writing is not one of my strengths and as much as I hate asking for help, I need it. Please, babygirl." He pleaded.