09. The Confrontation

“What do you think?” Hermione asked, staring at her friend with wide eyes. “I need answers, and you need to help me find them.”

Ginny sighed as she rubbed her eyes. “You took me out of my own bed just so you can ask me about Malfoy at seven in the morning?” She yawned, smacking her friend. “I was sleeping.”

“And I wasn’t because I can’t go to bed. I mean, what do you think happened back there with Pansy?” Hermione continued to ask, nudging her friend again.

Ginny could only mutter a few curse words before rolling her eyes and sitting up. “Okay, maybe … Pansy pushed his buttons, I wouldn’t be surprised.”

“No, but he looked like he saw a ghost or something.”

“Okay, well, maybe Pansy …” Ginny trailed off, trying to rack her brains for something - anything. “Maybe she brought up the past. It has to be that because no one ever likes speaking of the past.” She reasoned with a pleased smile slapped on her lips.

“That’s true …” Hermione chewed on her lips anxiously and suddenly snapped her fingers. “Maybe something happened in the muggle world - perhaps, a girl or something? Everytime I mention the muggle world, he gets extremely agitated and - well, he acts like an arse. And if we’re talking about the past, it could definitely be something that happened during his stay in the muggle world.”

“Hold on, why do you even care?” The redhead asked, raising her eyebrows. “Why are you so keen on finding out the truth? Do you care about him?”

“No, don’t be ridiculous. I need to know what happened, so that I know why he’s acting like such a bastard. And I need some leverage, so if I find out the truth, I could probably blackmail him or something. Look, I have my reasons, Ginny - there is a reason to my madness.” Hermione explained with a scoff. “Oh, merlin, me, Hermione Granger, caring for Draco Malfoy?” She repeated to herself, laughing. “That’s absolutely preposterous.” She easily laughed it off as she felt a wave of relief wash over her. “Thank you, I think I can finally sleep. I was up all night trying to figure out what was wrong with him.”

“Can I leave? Or better yet, can I just sleep here since you took me away from my loving bed … and husband?” Ginny asked, already getting comfortable on Hermione’s bed. “Your bed’s not that bad, actually. I’m going to sleep.”

Hermione grinned as she nodded. “Okay, I won’t bother you.” She said, pulling the covers off herself as she got out of the bed. Just as she was heading towards the bathroom door, she heard several small knocks on her window. She furrowed her eyebrows and turned around to see an unfamiliar owl. She cautiously opened the window and let the owl inside. There was a small note attached to its leg and she carefully took it off, opening the note.

Miss Hermione Granger,

I’d like to have a word with you, in private. Please come over for some tea today at noon. I’ll be waiting.

p.s. please do come alone, and don’t tell my son. It’s time we have a talk alone, woman to woman.