ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ғɪғᴛᴇᴇɴ

CHAPTER FIFTEENᴠᴏʟᴛᴇʀʀᴀ

CHAPTER FIFTEEN
ᴠᴏʟᴛᴇʀʀᴀ

With a pocket of documents held safely in my hand, I landed on the roof of the Mercedes as Alice drove Bella toward the airport. There was a sharp screech from inside, and I was reminded of the fact that Victoria's threat hadn't disappeared simply because Edward was in trouble. With a sheepish grin, I slid my feet through the front window, dropping into the passenger seat to see Bella's stormy face and Alice, who held in a laugh.

"Sorry," I said, glancing back to Bella who sat in the back.

"Did you get them?" Alice asked.

I nodded, holding up the thin pile. I had my own passport- it was hard to get by without one these days. Though mine was nowhere as near to the quality of Alice's and I was sure I'd paid far too much for my own. I wondered how Carlisle possibly knew to get them from in the first place.

We made it to the airport with only a few minutes to take our seats and shove our single bag in the overhead locker. Our first flight was to New York, and then the next all the way to Florence, where we'd somehow have to find our way to Volterra.

As she sunk back into her seat, Bella let out a deep sigh.

"It's faster than running," Alice said with a shrug as she brought her phone to her ear, ignoring the glances of the air hostess. It was Jasper.

"Have you seen anything more with Edward?" His voice was crackly on the other end.

"I can't be sure, I keep seeing him do different things, he keeps changing his mind... A killing spree through the city, attacking the guard, lifting a car over his head in the main square... mostly things that will expose them - he knows that's the fastest way to cause a reaction..."

"Emmett wanted to go after him and drag him back."

"No, you can't. Tell Emmett no," Alice said harshly. "Well go after them and bring them back. Think about it, Jasper. If he sees any of us, what do you think he will do?"

There was a pause, and then Jasper's southern drawl filled the quiet speakers of the phone. "He'll just do it faster."

"Exactly. I think Bella is the only chance if there is a chance. I'll do everything that can be done, but prepare Carlisle; the odds aren't good," Alice said. Bella and I shared a worried glance. "I've thought of that. Yes, I promise. Elide is here. Don't follow us, any of you. Promise me."

There was a pause for a moment as Alice sighed, shoving her phone deep into her pocket.

"Couldn't Edward hear you though? Wouldn't he know, as soon as he heard your thoughts, that I was alive and that there was no point to this?" Bella asked.

"If he were listening. but believe it or not, it's possible to lie with your thoughts. If you had died, I would still try to stop him. And I would be thinking 'she's alive, she's alive', as loud as possible," she said. "Edward knows that. If there were any way to do this without you Bella, I wouldn't be endangering you like this. It's very wrong of me."