Chapter 6: God Dammit Potter

Draco's POV:

There was one thing bothering me, though. It's etched into my mind no matter how much I don't want to think about it. I don't want to think about him, but can you blame me? You would too.

"Hey, Epona."

She raised an eyebrow, "Yeah?" We had been having a normal conversation about who we follow on social media and stuff about Hogwarts.

"Why don't you idolize him? Your brother, I mean. He was the first person you saw when you woke up and he kind of is your main line of support. Plus, he's the famous Harry Potter." I asked, my sentences getting all mixed up.

She stopped walking and looked me in the eye, "I do idolize him. He's my little brother. But at the same time, it's my life. I love him, and sure, I even want to be like him some times. But I don't want to be him, you know? I don't want to be known as Harry Potter's older sister. I want to be Epona.

"If anything happened to him, I would be devastated. I'm pretty sure my whole world would crumble, so yeah, he is my main line of support. That doesn't make him the only one though. Plus, I might sound crazy, but.... It's like there's this force in my head telling me that I shouldn't follow the path he wants me to, the path everyone wants me to. It's telling me to make my own. That's how I'm going to live my life."

I felt myself smile at her next words.

"I'm not going to live in Harry Potter's shadow."

I put my arm around her, "Good."

Then she grinned, "Why would you wanna know?"

"No reason. I just think Potter is a git."

She laughed. That wonderful, a bit quiet with that ever so faint rasp at the end of it.

"Anyways, I like the red haired boy. Ron I think his name is. He's pretty cute. So are his twin brothers." Epona said, and I felt my blood boil.

"That Weasley? Are you kidding me? He has rocks for brains." I replied quickly, an angry tone in my voice.

"Ooh. Is someone....jealous?" She said in a sing-song voice.

"Pfft. Over a Weasley? You wish." I rolled my eyes as we made our way up the stairs and to the best seats in the stadium. The ones my father bought.

Fuck. The realization hit me, and I pulled Epona aside. My father can't know she's a Potter, or for sure something bad will happen. I can't let anything bad happen to her. Especially with what's going to happen tonight. I don't need her to be dragged into this. Not after everything she's already had to deal with.

"Epona," I said in a hushed tone, "You need to promise me you won't mention anything about being Harry Potter's sister, okay?"

"Of course. I wasn't planning on it." She whispered back, holding her pinkie finger out.

I raised an eyebrow, "What are you doing?"

"I'm pinkie promising. Most legit promise there is. I read somewhere that if you break it, your finger gets cut off." She whispered and I stifled a laugh. She's so childish.

But, I wrapped my pinkie around hers and we both grinned at each other. 

I walked into the booth where my mother and father sat.

I cleared my throat, not realizing I was still holding Epona's hand firmly in mine, "Mother. Father. I brought a friend to sit with us."

My father turned around and stood. He looked Epona up and down, and I felt her flinch a little bit. I squeezed her hand and gave her a reassuring glance.

"What's your name?" My father asked, and I glared at him.

"My name is Effie." She replied coolly, "And I assume you are Mr. Lucius Malfoy and Mrs. Narcissa Malfoy. It's a pleasure to meet you both."

I sighed a sigh of relief when I saw a smile on both my parents faces.

"Well hello. Sweetheart, why didn't you tell us about your so good mannered friend before? We could've taken her with us." My mother spoke to me, then, before I could respond, my father asked Epona:

"What's wrong with your skin?"

"Lucius!"

"Father!" 

Both my mother and I yelled at him for his rudeness.

"I'm so sorry for my husband, dear." Mom looked at Epona, but her expression wasn't one of a person who was sorry.

"No, no it's fine. I get asked that a lot. I was born with a skin condition called vitiligo. It causes for there to be less melanin in some parts of my skin than others. It's no big deal."

My father sat down, and waved his hand, "There are plenty of seats here for you to sit down in. Sit down if you wish, child."

I cleared my throat and sat down a few seats away from my parents who were on the left of me, and Epona sat down on the right of me.  I looked over at her.

The game had started, and her eyes were glued to the game. A loose strand of hair fell into her face, and only when I moved my hand, did I notice that I was still holding hers. Quickly I let go and faced towards the game.

Why was I holding her hand in the first place? Why should I care if my parents didn't like her? Why do I care about the sister of my literal enemy? God damn it, why do I care about a girl I just met in person an hour ago?

Maybe she'll be in Slytherin. If she is, well, there's no way she'll be able to stay away from me.

In a friendly way, of course.

Epona's POV:

I watched the game. It was different than any of the muggle games I've seen. They rode on broomsticks and hit a ball around and wanted to get it into a goal. It looked kinda fun. I mean, I wouldn't wanna play it, but it seems cool.

It was so hard to try and peel my eyes off of the game. It moved so fast. As soon as I looked away from the game my eyes went towards the only other thing I wanted to pay attention to.

Draco.

Now look, I'm fourteen and have never experienced any sort of human emotion before this summer, so bear with me when the first hot guy I see I'm attracted to. It's not like he's the most important thing in my life. No man is. It's my life, and I'm the most important thing in it. As it should be.

But still, I'm quite torn. The boy who has been there for me all summer, even if he's a bit controlling, or the boy I just met who seems nicer than anyone else.

I hate to say it, but I'd choose my brother. He's my life line. When I don't know anything about the world, he's been there for me. If I lost him, I don't know what I'd do. I don't know where I'd go. Because Harry is family. And family always comes first.

"Draco..." I started, and he looked over, "Are we friends?"

He looked at me, taken aback, "Of course we're friends." He smirked, "You are holding my hand, after all. Sounds like a pretty friendly thing to do."

I looked down and instantly died. Oh my GODS. I quickly let go of his hand and put my together and on my lap. He just laughed.

"You scoundrel." I glared at him.

Draco just laughed, "Oh calm down. Stop acting like we did something wrong." 

He ran his fingers through his hair, "Don't let anyone tell you there's something wrong with wanting affection. As long as they aren't hurting you, be friends and date whoever you want, Epona." He then looked me in the eye, and in a stern tone said, "And never question if we're friends, OK? I will always be your friend."

I snickered, "Oh? Is a Malfoy being supportive? Don't act like I didn't see the disgusted looks on your mother and fathers faces."

He gave me a sorry look before his eyes widened. I raised an eyebrow to see in the next booth next to us was none other than my brother. Anger was the main expression on my brothers face as he stared me directly in the eyes.

"shit."