chapter fifteen

---

---

Wanda had turned the news on once more, refusing to let me turn it over. All I could do was watch it until I finally decided just to destroy the TV. I could tell the event was still on Wanda's mind. It had been a month since the incident but she still couldn't stop thinking about it. 

"Anya! What was that?" She exclaimed.

I shrugged, "They were being dicks and you wouldn't let me get to the buttons. So I destroyed the TV."

"You can't just do that."

"But I just did so I can," I responded, raising an eyebrow, daring her to continue. 

"They're scared of me."

"You can't control their fear, only your own," I comforted. I placed my hand in hers, stroking my thumb across her knuckles. 

Wanda didn't say anything as she stared at the destroyed TV. 

She then turned her head towards me, "You owe me a TV."

"I've memorised Tony's credit card number, so sure," I quipped. I sent her a smile, leaning towards her. "Don't tell him that though."

Wanda smiled weakly in return, kissing my lips quickly. 

"I love you," she told. 

I froze. My smile dropped. I opened and closed my mouth a few times, trying to say it back. I was pretty sure I loved her, so why couldn't I say it back. Before I embarrassed myself anymore or hurt Wanda's feelings any more, Vision walked through the wall. 

"Vis! We talked about this," Wanda scolded as I laughed falsely. 

"Yes, but the door was open so I assumed that..." He trailed off. 

"It's more normal to go to the door and knock, even if it's open," I explained. 

"Mr Stark has arrived," he informed. 

"Thanks, Vis," I replied, sending him a small smile.

Vision gestured to the door, "I'll use the door. Oh, and apparently, he's brought a guest."

"Fuck this," I muttered. "Who is it?"

"The Secretary of State."

A small part of me was glad for the rush. Wanda didn't have time to think too much about my lack of reply. It also meant that I had time to bring myself to say it. I loved Wanda, I did. I just needed to be able to say it.

---

I sat next to Wanda, not really listening as the Secretary of State rambled on about some heart attack he had while playing golf. It wasn't exactly interesting. Plus I didn't really like the guy, so I didn't pay attention. It wasn't until someone kicked me under the table that I started to pay attention. 

"I found something forty years in the Army had never taught me: Perspective," he continued. "The world owes the Avengers an un-payable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some who would prefer the word 'vigilantes'."

"And what word would you use, Mr Secretary?" Nat questioned. 

"How about 'dangerous'? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?" He answered. 

Secretary Ross activated the screen behind him, bringing up news footage. 

"New York."

I watched as footage of the Hulk smashing through buildings came up before dust and rubble consumed the screen, turning it black. 

"Washington DC."

Helicarriers were shown as they fell from the sky into the water, people running scared from them. A massive wave engulfed the camera. 

"Sokovia."

The footage showed as Sokovia began to lift from the Earth. 

"Lagos."

This footage showed the most recent incident. It showed the fire and bodies. Wanda looked away. I grasped her hand in mine under the table. She didn't meet my eye but still held my hand.

"Turn it off," I demanded. 

Secretary Ross, although did not like me, did as I said. 

"For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution," he explained, taking a thick document from one of the men with him. He passed the document to Wanda. 

"The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries, it states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel, only when and if that panel deems it necessary," he continued as the document was slid along the table. 

I glanced at the document, before sliding it to Nat only seconds later. 

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that," Steve told. 

"Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?" Secretary Ross sought. "If I misplaced a couple of 30 megaton nukes you can bet there'd be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground."

"You're really going to compare us to weapons of mass destruction?" I exclaimed. 

"You, Miss Romanoff, are far more dangerous than thirty megaton nukes," he commented. 

"What's that supposed to mean?" I demanded. "We're people."

He stared at me for a second but elected to turn away from me. 

"So, there are contingencies," Rhodey spoke up. 

"Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords." Secretary Ross glanced at us. "Talk it over."

Natasha looked to me before she spoke, "And if we come to a decision you don't like?"

"Then you retire."

I rolled my eyes before glaring at him. I really didn't like him.