10

It was hard to ignore the gun being pointed directly in Jay's face. Why couldn't he point it at the other two? She thought bitterly. A foul scent was coming off of the man, causing her inner beast to stir with hate. But she ignored it, thinking it was only because he was pointing a gun in her face.

"I asked you a question." He cocked the gun closer, the barrel almost touching her forehead. She swallowed the lump building in her throat as she looked from the man to the gun.

"We just need a place to stay. Wolves attacked us." Baylen was quick to come up with an answer. It wasn't a lie, but he wasn't telling the whole story either.

The man glares at me before turning his attention as well as the gun towards Baylen. He pokes Kieran with the end of his shotgun. "He doesn't look so good."

Baylen nodded. "That's why we came here. We need help."

The man hesitates as he looks at the three of them. Jay could see the wheels in his head turning, thinking of what to do. "Okay, come on in. Put him on the couch." He stepped aside from the door and let them in the house. Baylen nodded in thanks as he took Kieran inside. He put him on the couch that was in the first room they entered. The man closed the door behind Jay, and he put his gun down, leaning it against the wall beside the door.

"I'll go see if I can scrounge up some medical supplies," The man grumbled as he moved to the kitchen. "I know there's a first aid kit around here somewhere." His mumbling was drowned out by the sounds of him rummaging through his cupboards.

She looked from Kieran to Brennan. "Why isn't he healing?" Jay's voice was in a whisper as she crouched down to sit by Kieran so the man wouldn't be able to hear them speak.

Brennan's frown deepens into a scowl as he turns to his brother. Kieran only waved a dismissive hand in the air. "I was bitten by the Alpha," He coughs. The sweat beading onto his skin made him look sickly. "An Alpha's bite is far more potent than any regular wolf bite. I'll be dead within a couple of hours."

Oh no, Jay thought with worry. She turned to Brennan, her emotions clearly on display. "What do we do?" Her voice was panicked.

"Say your goodbye's now, sweetheart," Kieran turned to her. His deep blue eyes swam with his consciousness threatening to slip away. Jay was horrified, unable to accept his fate.

"I don't know of any cure." Brennan's voice became lower as the man returned with a first aid kit in hand. He set it down and took out a few things before assessing Kieran's wounds. When he pulled up Kieran's shirt to reveal the wolf bite, Jay gasped in shock. The injury was black and oozing with blood. Small red lines were moving from the wound and fading into Kieran's skin.

"That's a nasty wound." The man eyed Kieran before turning to Brennan. "I'll have to go and get some more stuff for this. Wait here," He said before exiting the living room. She heard him walk up some stairs before more muffled rummaging sounded from above.

Jay got up to pace as her mind was reeling with her emotions. She felt the desire to punch something but reined it in, thinking that the homeowner wouldn't appreciate his new guests putting holes into his walls. There has to be something. There's no way someone hasn't discovered something to be able to cure this after all these years.

As she made her way to the end of the house, she turned around in the opposite direction. Her mind was spinning with her every thought and emotion. She was beginning to feel antsy. And hungry. Her teeth ached with her sudden hunger. She hadn't fed since yesterday, and she was becoming more aware of the man's heartbeat from upstairs. It was slow and steady, blood rushing with ease through his arteries. She breathed in deeply, catching the scent of his blood flowing within his body.