26 ☆ the tower

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

THE TOWER

"'come on!' draco insists

"'come on!' draco insists. he flashes a mischievous grin over his shoulder. eunbyeol thinks that look could start wars. what else could she do but oblige?"

☆☆☆

Dumbledore is gone.

Eunbyeol had never spoken to the man personally but the school seems... less without him. Less safe, less warm, less like Hogwarts. She can't really put it into words. Umbridge takes to the title of headmaster like a fish to water, using her new position and privileges to torment the students of Hogwarts at every possible moment.

The members of the D.A.—save for a few—do an excellent job of pretending the D.A. never existed. It's a bit of a miracle that most of the group has gotten away unscathed, honestly, especially since Umbridge seized the parchment with the names of all the Dumbledore's Army members from the Room of Requirement. They all had been certain they'd face repercussions for their names being seen that list. If not that, then for the slew of students that were left injured in the aftermath of the ambush. Some Slytherin student had given Terry reindeer antlers. Eunbyeol spots Pansy Parkinson nursing the effects of the Bat Boogey Hex and allows a dark sense of satisfaction to set in. Marietta Edgecombe, of course, scurries through the halls of Hogwarts with her head down for days. Eunbyeol can't tell if her splotchy red face is an effect of the curse Hermione had cast on the parchment and the dirty looks students give her in the halls.

Fred and George are absolutely furious and turn to pranks as a coping mechanism. They set off fireworks, dungbombs, anything they can to make Umbridge's life that much harder. It's loud and messy and chaotic and while part of her wants to partake in the ruckus, she knows she needs to be unseen. Everything she is depends on her being quiet: good student, good daughter, good lady. At least she's good at it.

Her first prefect round is four days after the fall of Dumbledore's Army. It's with Draco and for once in her life, every fiber of her being is dreading it. The two haven't really interacted since that moment in the classroom and while she misses him, she still isn't quite sure what to make of him. Why had he done that? Yes, they're friends, but Draco's a Slytherin. Ambition is a part of his nature. She's seen him throw Crabbe and Goyle under the bus for less than fifty house points.

"Hello," she greets cautiously when he appears around the corner.

"Hello," he says back. The air feels a little stifling for some reason, a little tense. He coughs. "We should start moving."

"Right!" Eunbyeol nods, sounding a bit too eager. "You're right, we should go."

She takes a sidelong glance at him and remembers the way he had looked at her in that abandoned classroom, Fred, George, and Tony hovering about her. "Thank you." she asks abruptly. She doesn't have to say why.