22| Flashback

Remus's POV

I spent the rest of the following day just staring at the Marauders' Map. I confiscated it a few nights ago from Harry.

I regretted being a little bit to harsh on the boy. I should not have been. I cried everytime I looked at the map; it brings back so much memories.

I remember every prank we've done, which annoyed many students and teachers. Every jinx James and Sirius would perform in the hallways. Every laughter, every joke, every smile, and everything that we've done together.

I miss them so much...

But then as I was biting into a slab of one of the chocolates that (y/n) gave me the previous week, I noticed something on the map something — quite strange.

I saw Ron, Harry, and Hermione with Peter Pettigrew. My eyes widened as I saw it, I rubbed them furiously hoping that I was just seeing things.

But still, Peter's name was still there.

I remembered the night when I confiscated the map. When Harry told me that the map was probably malfunctioning, and he also noticed Peter's name on it.

That was impossible. Peter has been dead for twelve years, Sirius killed him. But how? Surely he wasn't a ghost here at Hogwarts.

"Impossible. Peter's dead." I muttered under my breath.

Suddenly a memory struck me...

(3rd person's POV)

March 1975

It was in the middle of the night at the Gryffindor common room when young  James Potter, Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, and Peter Pettigrew  had added the final touches on the newly-created Marauders' Map.

"Messrs Moony..." Remus hollered quietly.

"...Wormtail..." said Peter,  playing with his fingers.

"...Padfoot..." Sirius said, smirking.

"and Prongs..." James finished, "... are proud to present..."

"The Marauders' Map!" they all said in unison and began cheering, but all the noise was interrupted by Remus, who shushed at them.

"Come on Moony!" Sirius said to Remus teasingly. "You're always ruining the fun!"
"For your information Pads, it's already midnight and we don't want Gryffindor to lose points again." said Remus seriously.

"I can't believe it," Peter shuddered. "We've finally finished it!"

"Well thanks to Moony, the smartest werewolf we've ever met and the one who thought of creating this map." said James as Remus gave a dramatic bow and the three howled with laughter. Luckily James said the word 'werewolf' quietly.

"Well that's because he's the only one we've ever
met." Sirius laughed.

Remus blushed.

"So this map shows everyone?" Peter asked curiously; he didn't even participte a bit on creating the map since he was always falling asleep easily.

Sirius winked at him. "But James, Remus and I added something to the map. It's also capable of accurately indentifying everyone."

"It can't be fooled by Polyjuice Potion, Imvisibility Cloaks," Remus added, then gazing at James once he mentioned Invisibility Cloaks.

"Or even animagi!" James said. "So even we are in our animal forms, the map still shows our names on it. For example, Wormtail, turn into a rat and go outside the common roo."

"Why me?" Peter shrieked. "Filch might catch me!"

"You're the smallest," said Sirius. "Do it!"

"Fine." Peter sighed in defeat. He turned into a rat  and then rushed inside.

Aftwr a few minutes, Peter rushed back inside and immediately transformed back into a human as he shuddered.

"It was awful!" Peter cried. "When I went outside Mrs. Norris almost caught me! I would have been her supper!"

Remus shushed at him while Sirius and James were once again with laughter. "Well, we checked the Map while you were outside, it still showed your name." said Remus.

"Oh and check this out, Mischief Managed!" said Sirius as he pointed his wand at the map; and immediately, all the names, secret passageways, classrooms and all of Hogwarts vanished.

"How do you do that?" Peter asked.

Remus groaned. "Oi! That's enough for today, I'm going to bed." He flopped himself against the bed and slid the covers over him. The three did the same and headed to their beds.

"Goodnight!" they all said before drifting to sleep.

Remus's POV

My eyes widened as the memory struck me. When we created the map, it showed everyone, and what they were doing every minute of everyday.

And it was capable of distinguishing every person. Even if they are in their Animagus forms, hiding under Invisibility Cloaks, and those who are under the Polyjuice Potion.

So that means, if Peter was on the map, that meant—

He was alive!

He was in his animagus form. I gasped as I glued all the pieces together. After all these years, I thought that Sirius murdered him, but I was wrong. And that meant, Peter was the real-Secret Keeper for James and Lily that night at Godric's Hollow, not Sirius.

And Sirius was innocent.

Peter was the real traitor. Voldemort's spy. He betrayed us all. How could he?! He betrayed our friendship and blamed Sirius for it!

Then on the map, I saw Sirius's name. And it was dragging Ron and Peter, to the Whomping Willow.

I need to tell them the truth, I thought to myself, Sirius and the rest are in danger.

I dashed hurriedly from my desk. I need to go to the Shrieking Shack. They need my help.

A/n: hii people! I really enjoyed writing this chapter and now I got you guys a Marauders backstory. The flashback was just a headcannon in my head when the made the map, so I decided why not share it.

Oh and I'm awfully sorry to tell you all that this story is soon about to meet its close. I should have informed you all in the previous chapter but I got to busy at school! Again, I'm awfully sorry.

Anyways, question of the day, who's your favorite cast member/s of the Harry Potter movies?

Mine is David Thewlis (Remus) and Gary Oldman (Sirius).

Comment, vote, follow!

Love,

Jazl