Chapter 36

-Jared-

I had wanted to ask Electra who she had gotten a ride from. I just knew that it probably wouldn't be a good time, especially when I still had Tasha at my house.

I knew she would probably swing it back around at me, and I trusted her. I just hoped that it wasn't another hunter that was going to become a problem for us down the road.

That was another thing I'd wanted to talk to her about hunting.

I'd wanted to bring it up many times, but it never seemed like the right time. I didn't like the idea of her hunting; it was just as hard for me to accept that she went around killing people as it was for her to accept that I was more than just a human.

I knew she hadn't been on a hunt in a while, unless she'd done it while at the headquarters of the people she worked for. I appreciated that. If it were up to me, I'd ask her to completely stop, but it wasn't up to me. I knew that she couldn't stop hunting anymore than I could stop being a werewolf. Neither of us was born this way, but we were how we were and we needed to live with that.

Electra, Alex and I had watched a movie together. I was glad that Alex and Electra were getting along so well, despite the humiliation my sister caused. I wasn't particularly thrilled about Electra teaching my sister how to fight though.

I knew Alex needed to know how to protect herself. She should have learned long ago. I should have told her what I was from the beginning. I should have helped her understand and prepare. I knew what types of things were out there and I'd just thought keeping her in the dark would keep her safe.

It had been a foolish hope, and I should have been glad that someone was helping her. A human someone. I felt like the transition for Alex may be easier with another human to help her. I was just worried that Alex would want to take it past self-defense. I didn't want her getting any deeper into this world than she already was.

Not long after Electra left, Tasha came back.

"So do you, like, just turn into a wolf and go run around or what?" Alex asked as Tasha took a seat near us.

She looked between my sister and me. I could tell she wasn't sure what to say, should she say the truth, should she lie? I just shrugged.

"Sometimes," she said slowly.

"So that's what you two are then? You're a human or a wolf? You just change between the two?"

"Not exactly," I said this time. "There are different types of shifts."

Alex had been asking non-stop questions since she'd come clean with me. And in turn, I'd tried answering her questions as honestly as I could.

"Like what?"

"Well a full wolf for one. Sometimes we only need our claws or fangs though."

"Why?"

"Because each type has its advantages and drawbacks," Tasha said. "If I want to fight, I'm going to do it as a were human. If I want to run through the woods, go long distances, chase something; I'm going to do it as a wolf."

That basically summed it up. The wolf was good for senses, speed, everything was heightened more so than it normally was, and we were incredibly fast. A partial shift was one where we drew on our natural weapons for strength. Not that I'd ever been one to fight, I'd avoided those if I could.

"Alex we're going to head outside for a while," I said.

"Where are you going?"

"Tasha just needs to help me with something."