ELEVEN

CHAPTER ELEVEN
' AREN'T WE ALL IN
OUR MID-THIRTIES
AND ABOVE ? '

Eddie stepped out of the dark, shiny car with a playful smirk tugging at her features. She adjusted her dark red, flowered blazer and tightened her black tie. She locked eyes with the gathering of her siblings that stared at her and offered a wink. She ran her tongue over her teeth and began forward, slamming the door shut behind her. The others followed behind her as she sauntered into the building, jogging up the stairs until she reached a lift.

She jabbed her foot forward, stopping the door from closing. She raised an eyebrow at Five as she pushed her jacket back, stuffing her hands into her pockets. 'Hello, dearest.' The others appeared at her side and filtered into the confined space. Her eyes flickered between them, and she took in a deep breath.

She moved in and pushed herself into the corner, clenching her fists as she felt Klaus' breath ticking the back of her neck. She ran her tongue over her teeth as she bounced on her feet. The journey lasted a lifetime, her senses on overdrive as she felt every shuffle, heard every breath and saw every movement as it flickered with the lights.

Eddie could not help the cough as she covered her face when a potent smell filtered through the room. 'Fucking hell, Luther, have you shit yourself?'

'Sorry. I'm nervous.'

'Nasty, I'm choking!'

Eddie fell out of the elevator, rushing out as she rolled her shoulders. She pushed her hair away from her face as she ran her tongue over her teeth.

'You all right, Lyn?' Five questioned. Her eyes flickered up, and she nodded.

'Yeah, I just need a minute.' She gave him a small smile as she swallowed.

'All right, when dad gets here, I'll do all the talking, okay?' Five continued, turning to face the siblings, and Eddie cleared her throat, and he glanced at her before sighing. 'We'll do the talking.'

Diego shrugged as he approached them. 'I have a few questions myself.'

'Hey, we don't want to scare him off. He might help us stop doomsday, get us home.' Five shook his head.

'We gotta give him time,' Eddie added, pulling out a chair and resting her elbows on it. 'How would you feel if you were a bachelor, then seven kids, all - I remind you - polar opposites, claiming to be your children, who are the same age as you, show up at your doorstep? You're gonna sign a restraining order, aren't you? Especially if one accuses you of trying to assassinate the president.' She looked pointedly at Diego. 'So keep your mouth shut, my dear, and let the adults do the talking.'

'Maybe we should take turns talking, yeah?' Vanya stepped forward, picking up a large shell. 'Here, whoever has this conch shell gets to talk first.'

Eddie blinked blankly for a moment. 'I'd just like to ask a small question here, but aren't we all in our mid-thirties and above?'

Allison took the shell of her sister. 'Maybe I should lead. We all know I'm a better public speaker than the rest.'

Eddie squinted. 'Am I invisible?'

'Okay, daddy's girl.' He glared at Eddie, and she raised an eyebrow.

'Oh, jealous, Number Two?' Allison taunted.

'Hey, no more numbers. No more bullshit. We're all team Zero.'

Eddie let out a snort as she covered her face and her shoulders began to shake. 'Uh, Diego, you don't have the conch.' Diego glared and snatched the shell, aiming it at Eddie as he launched it at her. Her eyes glowed for a moment as it slowed in mid-air, she calmly stepped out of the way, and it continued on its journey, whizzing past and shattering against a wall. 'I think you may need therapy,' she paused. 'I think we all need therapy.'

The doors opened, and Eddie turned to face them. Hargreeves stood there, his face filled with annoyance and disapproval. His eyes landed on Eddie, and she went to tip her hat, but her hand hit empty air. She froze for a moment before giving him a lazy two-fingered salute. His eyes flickered away as he marched forward, pulling out a chair and lowering into it. Eddie shared a look with Five before following suit.