31. The Truth

Both of them arrived at a small clearance located in the reserve forest of Lungmen. Where there are 4 tall large trees which are depicted as the '4 guardians' in the riddle.

[The hidden base... is a toilet?] - Filia (Firewatch)

The surprise almost broke her usual stoic expression as she kept staring at the degraded wooden stall, which is a toilet. Filia turned her gaze to Mio and thought that the oni woman was joking. But to her dismay, Mio was not. 

[Not in the toilet, but it is certainly underneath the toilet] - Mio

Mio said while pointing to the ground. The eyes of the young Elafia piercing through Mio's body in disappointment, earning a shrug from Mio. 

[Don't stare at me like that. I'm not the one who planned to build a base underneath the toilet] - Mio

[To be frank, you sure look like that type of person who will do that kind of thing] - Filia

Mio crosses her arms and smirks. Not minding much of Filia's comments. Thinking that the Elafia woman is more observant than she expected. Even though Filia seems to be the uncaring type but Mio presumes otherwise. 

[More than meets the eyes, I guess] - Mio

She mutters and glances at Filia. Stifling a giggle before bursting to a short loud laugh. 

On the other hand, Filia narrows her eyes at the cannibal Oni. Suspicions rose as well as her frowns. As if she felt that Mio's laugh was directed to herself. Women institution. 

[You found something to laugh about? Is it related to someone?] - Filia

Filia questions with her usual demeanour while her cheeks slightly twitch in annoyance. Not in the mood of joking around in a mission. Yet, the atmosphere feels lighter like a feather with bits of lax than experiencing constant tension. 

[N-no. So, anyway, our ticket to the base is through that stall. But, I'm afraid that we might have to flush ourselves into the toilet bowl] - Mio

A slight disgust laced Mio's tone as she shivers at the possibility of her own words. Hugging herself out of hygienic concerns as she is quite a clean freak. 

[This is a mission entrusted to us from the doctor. Like it or not, we have to do it by any means] - Filia

Filia drags the reluctant Mio across the grass of the field. Though, she also feels disgusted by the thought of the toilet. But, she has a far worse experience than this one. Or maybe this is the worst. 

[Sometimes, I hate becoming a professional. Having to do this and that with a straight badass face despite how dirty it is, I want to report a complaint about this] - Mio

Mio rambles while crossing her arms together. Enjoying the ride of getting drag on the soft grasses. Not having to spend her energy to walk. 

[Despite all of those words. You're going to finish this job for the money anyway] - Filia 

Filia huffs from her nose and opens the door. 

[Bleh, you spoke lies of me. Even so, I do like money but, that's not the point] - Mio

[Nevermind that. Also, it's pretty windy today] - Filia

Her words seemed normal if one thought it that way. But, another meaning could be found underneath. Where Filia hopes that Mio can catch the secret message in it. 

Mio frowns at the elafia woman and knits her eyebrows together, trying to think deeper before surveying the surroundings. Holding her chin, oblivious of Filia's intention.