2

SNAPE'S NIECE

_____________

"Did she appear? Right there in front of you?"

I breathed the smoke from my cigarette before answering. Thanks to a little enchantment, I could smoke in the abandoned restroom at Hogwarts without anyone noticing it.

"You know it wasn't her actually, but yeah."

"And how did she look?" the girl in front of me was perplexed. Her big blue eyes shined with pure curiosity and a bit of fear.

"Just like the last time I saw her at Azkaban, Liv. And you know what's the worst part? She appeared in front of all of them. Obviously, they laughed at me." I gave the cigarette a puff.

Olivia Lovegood had a little sad expression on her face.

"I'm really sorry, Lilith. I don't understand why they treat you like that. You are nothing like your mother."

And she was right, maybe I was a Slytherin just like her, and Merlin knows how I would react if the love of my life suddenly abandoned me with a child to raise by my own, but the only thing I inherited from Circe Snape was the dark brown hair and type of body shape. My eyes, curls, facial features and lots of aspects in my personality were my father's genes. Not that I was proud of it either.

I smiled at her.

"How are you gonna understand those bastards if you are the kindest human being ever, Liv? You wouldn't mess with anyone even if they were pissing you off." I passed her the cigarette and she gave a puff, then she started coughing.

I wondered if she knew that smoking didn't make her look meaner, it only made her look more defenceless than usual.

"Are those stupid know-it-alls still bothering you?" I asked.

Liv was the first Lovegood to be in another house than Ravenclaw. She was a Hufflepuff, with beautiful long blond hair, big blue eyes and nose and cheeks full of freckles. Even though she was older than her sister, she had to bear with the mockery of Luna's classmates who were absolutely convinced that Liv was not half as smart as Luna. In addition to that, the fame of her family didn't help her at all.

"As long as I ignore them, they don't exist to me," she said proudly.

"You know what? Sometimes I wish I could deal with the ones who mess with me the same way you do with yours."

Liv started to laugh loudly. In some weird way, we were pretty similar. Both of us were lonely people who had to deal with others mockery just for something that was not our fault. Maybe it was what united us so much to the point to consider her my family more than the actual one, and what made us meet each other at the loneliest abandoned restrooms in all Hogwarts (where not even Moaning Myrtle came) to rant about our lives and to smoke freely.

"You couldn't do that even if you tried, Lilith. That short temper of yours is what feeds them."

"Wait for this short temper to break their faces," I replied finishing the cigarette. "Are you gonna come to watch me destroy Weasley's ass at the Quidditch match?"

"Of course! But you should go now, being Snape's niece is not going to allow you to arrive late to his class"

Even though I could think of a lot of things better to do, I had to listen to Liv. I hugged her before leaving and ran all over the corridors just to be in time at the Dungeons. When I arrived, Snape wasn't there yet, instead, all the Slytherins were in front of the door, whispering between each other and giving bad looks to the Gryffindors, who as usual, were messing around.