PART 3: Apologies

Lin had had a long and boring day, it had been a series of one minor crime after another. Nothing interesting or even entertaining. She was rubbing her eyes as she went into her office. Opening them again, she saw Sukara sitting in the chair across from her desk.

"Oh, hey kid," she said, going to sit down at her desk, "you need something?"

"I wanted to apologise," Sukara said, glancing down at her feet as she spoke, "for what I said before."

Lin chuckled a little at the nervous look on her face, "that was months ago, you've really been beating yourself up about until now?"

"I meant to say I was sorry sooner," Sukara told her, "I guess I was just scared at what you would say."

"There's really no need kid," Lin said, leaning back in her chair, "you were upset, and you were right. You're an adult and don't need parenting."

"I don't mind it," Sukara smiled softly, staring down at her hands as she played with her fingers, "it's kinda nice to have someone that cares about me like a parent. I've never really had it before."

Lin just gave her a smile, unsure of how to respond. They didn't tend to talk like this, so it was touching to hear her say it out loud.

"I didn't mean it, about all family being the same," Sukara continued to explain herself, "you're not like my mother, I was worked up and got it in my head. I'm sorry, I didn't mean it."

"It's alright," Lin smiled, "I understand. I'm glad you came though, it's been weird not seeing you. How've you been? How's Kuvira?"

"She's good, fully recovered now," Sukara smiled, "actually we've been talking and we decided to have another kid."

"That's wonderful."

"Yeah we're going to talk to Voya about it soon," Sukara said, looking back up at her, "I want to see what she thinks and get the idea of it floating around before anything happens."

"Yeah that's probably best," Lin nodded, "are you going to adopt again?"

"Uh, no there's a fertility spirit that we want to talk to," Sukara explained, "they're a little a shy but I've got an in with the spirits so I think we'll be okay."

"What do you mean by shy?" Lin asked, frowning a little as she reviewed her previous experience with spirits and Sukara's reckless attitude, "this thing isn't going to attack you is it?"

"Oh no," Sukara chuckled, relaxing back into her chair, "they know me, 20,000 years in one place you get to know the guys that live there. Getting to talk to them won't be a problem but, they're picky about who they choose to help. I understand though, they want to make sure the people they help bring into the world are going to be loved and cared for properly."

Lin nodded, "I think you'll be fine, you and Kuvira are good parents. You've taken such good care of Voya, especially with all the circumstances, the spirit will see that, I'm sure of it."

"Thanks Lin."

Sukara smiled, excited about expanding her family and her life, but also because she was back on good terms with Lin. She hadn't liked the awkward distance she had caused between them, she was glad to have finally sorted it out.