First Day of Term

"What's the matter?" asked Hermione as she and Estella caught up with Ron and Harry halfway across the common room as they all headed toward breakfast. "You look absolutely-oh for heaven's sake."

She was staring at the common room notice board, where a large new sign had been put up.

Gallons of Galleons! Pocket money failing to keep pace with your outgoings? Like to earn a little extra gold?

Contact Fred and George Weasley, Gryffindor common room, for simple, part-time, virtually painless jobs

(We regret that all work undertaken at application's own risk)

"That is the limit," said Hermione grimly, taking down the sign, which Fred and George had pinned up over a poster giving the date of the first Hogsmeade weekend in October. "We'll have to talk to them, Ron."

Ron looked positively alarmed.

"Why?"

"Because we're prefects!" said Hermione, as they climbed out through the portrait hole. "It's up to use to stop this kind of thing!"

Ron said nothing; Estella could tell from his glum expression that the prospect of stopping Fred and George doing exactly what they liked was not one that he found inviting.

"What's wrong, Harry?" asked Estella, as they walked down a flight of stairs lined with portraits of old witches and wizards, all of whom ignored them, begging engrossed in their own conversation. "You look really angry about something."

"Seamus reckons Harry's lying about You-Know-Who," said Ron succinctly, when Harry didn't respond.

"Yes, Lavender thinks so too," said Hermione gloomily.

"Been having a nice little chat with her about whether or not I'm a lying, attention-seeking prat, have you?" said Harry loudly.

"Hey," snapped Estella. "As if we'd do that, so watch it."

Harry muttered a sorry as Hermione began talking.

"No," said Hermione calmly. "I won't even tell you what Estella said," added Hermione, "but I told her to keep her big fat mouth shut about you, actually. And it would be quite nice if you stopped jumping down Ron's, Estella's, and my throats, Harry, because if you haven't noticed, we're on your side."

There was a short pause.

"Sorry," said Harry in a low voice.

"That's quite all right," said Hermione with dignity. Then she shook her head. "Don't you remember what Dumbledore said at the end-of-term feast last year?"

Harry and Ron both looked at her blankly while Estella nodded. Hermione sighed.

"About You-Know-Who. He said, 'His gift for spreading discord and enmity is very great. We can fight it only by showing an equally strong bond of friendship and trust-"

"How do you remember stuff like that?" asked Ron, looking at her in admiration.

"I listen, Ron," said Hermione with a touch of asperity.

"So do I, but I still couldn't tell you exactly what-"

"The point," Hermione pressed on loudly, "is that this sort of thing is exactly what Dumbledore was talking about. You-Know-Who's only been back two months, and we've started fighting among ourselves. And the Sorting Hat's warning was the same-stand together, be united-"

"And Harry said it last night," retorted Ron, "if it means we're supposed to get matey with the Slytherins, fat chance."

"Well, we should be trying for at least inter-House unity," said Estella crossly.