Chapter 14

"You have a key Tommy! Stop acting like you don't!" I shout as I pull the apple pie dusted with cinnamon out of the oven.

"We have two hours to go see the horses-"

"Thank you," he says, smiling as he comes over and gives me a kiss.

"That's okay," I laugh, giving him a longer kiss in return.

"We'll leave it here and you can come over after you've finished work to eat some," I say, taking my apron off and slipping a pair of boots on, quickly doing the laces.

He holds my coat out for me to put it on and I quickly do before slipping out of the house with him, linking our arms and making our way to the stables.

"Did you sleep well?" He asks.

"I did, probably cause you were in the room next door," I chime, keeping close to him for the warmth.

We soon reach the stables and I notice that Star and Monaghan Boy are already tacked up and waiting outside for us.

"Curly heard us when you were begging me to come see them with you," he says, easing my confusion.

"I don't need help up anymore, I'm a professional," I say, getting onto Star with ease - help of the stirrups cause I'm not riding bareback today.

I wait till he mounts Monaghan Boy before turning Star around, letting Tommy lead us.

"You could be a professional with horses," Tommy says. "That sounds more like a you thing, as much as I love them, I like patching people up," I grin.

"You'd never be a house wife," he laughs.

"They're good at what they do but it's not for me."

"So you wouldn't have kids?" He asks.

"No I'd have kids, but I wouldn't be able to stay at home and not work. I'd have maternity leave but go back to work when I can."

"What's your ideal family then?" He asks.

"Two kids, boy and a girl, I don't care who's older. I'd want them to go to school and I'd want a dog with them as they grow up. Probably a German Shepard or a Airedale Terrier."

"Now what's all this kid talk for?" I ask, catching him off guard a bit.

"Just wondering," he shrugs as we begin nearing the centre of Small Heath.

"Well what's your ideal family then?" I quip.

"Same as you but I'd want horses as well, teach them the gypsy ways."

I stroke Star's neck and sort out her mane, getting her fringe out of her eyes. "I might give her mane a trim, it's always in her eyes," I tell Tommy.

The sun had gone down by now and the streets weren't too busy making it an ideal time to ride two horses down in my opinion. I giggle as Tommy guides Monaghan Boy to come closer to Star so he can be nearer to me.

"Arthur still in Camden Town?" I ask. "He is, now who should we visit first?" He asks me.

"Jane, she's always said how she wants to meet the horse you've gifted to me," I say, nudging Star into a trot, Tommy and Monaghan Boy quick to follow.

Once we reach Harry's house I quickly dismount Star and knock on the door, holding her reigns so she won't wander off or lay down.

"Evie, what are you doing?" Jane laughs, seeing me and then Star.

"I came to show you Star," I smile, hugging her.

"She won't bite me will she?" She asks. "No, she'd sit on you but never bite," I honestly say, remembering how much I've avoided getting sat on by rolling out the way.