Part 64

James kept a hand on the back of Maggie's neck as he walked her towards the hospital. Free hand clutching a Venus et Fleur arrangement. Light pink roses in a velvet, blush colored box. The sun was warm overhead, blue skies and fluffy clouds. The promise of life hanging in the air. Just what a spring day should be.

Dressed down in more causal wear for once, James donned a Tom Ford long-sleeved cashmere crewneck over a pair of black jeans with soot chelsea boots, while Maggie wore a cream Bottega Veneta sweater dress and pearl covered mules.

"I'm so excited." She squealed, making him huff out a laugh and stroke a thumb over her soft skin.

Maggie had one of those mornings where the second her eyes opened, she was a ball of energy. Practically dragging James out of bed to get ready— if 'dragging him out of bed' meant mustering all of her strength to scoot the two hundred pound wall of muscle barely a centimeter over on the mattress before he finally conceded. Finding her too adorable to deny like always.

When they stepped into the hospital, they checked in with the front desk and were promptly directed to the maternity ward.

They walked through the brightly lit hallways, under the florescent lights. Linoleum floors squeaking under their shoes. Passing by doctors, nurses, and various visitors. People clutching flowers or balloons, excited to meet their newborn family member.

The maternity ward was so different from the rest of the hospital. It felt much more cheerful. New life bringing hope, rather than the injuries and sadness the rest of the building felt.

When they reached the indicated room, Maggie hit a soft set of knocks on the door, before pushing it open slowly.

She peeked her head in to find Wanda lying back on the bed looking exhausted, but at the same time— glowing with a sense of accomplishment. Vision was sitting on a plush chair adjacent from the side of the bed, holding their daughter in his arms.

"Hi." Maggie whispered softly, smiling at both of them.

Wanda grinned, patting the edge of the bed for her to come over. She grabbed James' hand, moving into the space. She was happy to see it was filled with flowers and balloons. Cards resting on the bedside table, waiting to be opened.

She sat down carefully beside Wanda, while James set down the floral arrangement, then took his place standing beside her.

Maggie looked over Scarlet's tiny face. Fresh pink skin, light peach fuzz covering her head. Feeling tears stinging her eyes when she saw just how much she looked like her parents. "She's beautiful."

Vision nodded. "She is a beauty." He agreed, looking up at Maggie.

Letting out an emotional breath, she shook her head. Completely astounded by the sheer amount of pride and affection she felt in the room. "How did everything go?" She asked, glancing between the couple.

"It was a long, long night, but there were no abnormalities. We're both healthy." Wanda confirmed with a relieved shrug. "Want to hold her?"

"Are you sure?" Maggie asked, suddenly feeling apprehensive.

"Yeah, of course."

Maggie nodded eagerly, shifting in her spot.

Vision adjusted Scarlet in his hands, cradling her head as he extended her out to Maggie. She carefully took her from him, nestling her itty bitty figure in the crook of her arm, while the other wrapped around to support her. Her eyes widened, staring down at her delicate features.

"Hi, Scarlet." She greeted sweetly down to the snoozing baby, looking up to James and smiling widely.

He quietly chuckled, petting over Maggie's hair. Glad to see she finally got what she'd been gushing over all morning. His eyes flashed between Wanda and Vision, with a warm grin. "Congratulations, you two." Reaching out and shaking hands with Vision.