chapter ten - whiskey and wine.

warning: implications of sex

      OPHELIA WAS incredibly grateful that Aaron offered to call her a cab back to her apartment. She was just a little too tipsy to see the screen of her phone. Usually she could bare without her reading glasses, but mix that with liquid courage in her system and she's a goner.
      "Thanks, Aaron," She smiled, a little embarrassed. Aaron. He tucked his phone away in his pocket.
      "Anytime, Ophelia," Ophelia. She blushed, remembering she had told him the same thing just a few nights before. She glanced back at the team; some members had left and the ones who remained had resorted to doing their own thing. She took this opportunity to ask-
      "Would you like to join me?" He gawked at her. Surely she wasn't asking- especially since this was a team outing-
      "No, not like that," She chuckled. Aaron let out a breath he didn't know he was holding in his chest. He shook his head and smiled down at their feet. How could he think she thought of him in that way? "Unless you have Jack tonight-" She reasoned.
      "No, no, I don't," He started, meeting her eyes. "I'd love to," She sighed in relief, thankful she didn't embarrass herself too much.

      "So," She began, leading Aaron into her apartment for the first time. He closed the door, locking it behind him.
      "So," He teased, smiling adoringly at her. She mirrored him, bashfully shaking her head.
      "Something to drink?" She waltzed over to her wine closet. "I only have wine, sorry," She mused, opening the glass door and stepping inside. Silently, Aaron crept up behind her. She could feel his warm breath on her neck, the smell of whiskey following after. She kept her eyes forward, dazing at the several wine bottles and their brands. She had almost as many bottles as she had books. The dark yellow light only illuminated the first few rows of wine and the tops of their faces, leaving everything else in darkness. His strong arm reached in front of her. She watched as he trailed the necks of the few bottles in his reach.
      "Let's see," His voice trailed off and she stifled a shiver that crawled down her spine. Hearing his dark, deep voice in her ear lulled her into a different world. "This one," He decided, pulling the heavy glass bottle out of it's holder and stepping out of the cabinet. Ophelia held herself there for a silent moment, her thoughts still wandering. She took a deep breath. She couldn't think about her boss like that. But then again, why was he getting so close if not to tease her or hint at his want for something more? She brushed her loose hair out of her face and behind her ears, turning back, trying to act unfazed. He smirked at her as he placed the bottle on her purely white island.
      "Top drawer," She breathed, wiping her sweaty hands on her slip dress. He turned to open the drawer in question while she grabbed two tall wine glasses. She turned to face him when she heard a loud POP! erupt from behind her.
      "Thank you," Her expression changed from nervous and flustered to confident and sly. He poured a few ounces of wine in each glass, careful to not spill any on her hands. This was easy for him; his hands were incredibly still and calm, especially given the situation that played out just moments before. Maybe he really was just being friendly. She handed one glass to Aaron and they jokingly cheered their glasses, even though they had nothing to toast to. Ophelia set her glass on the island and pushed herself up, letting her legs dangle off the edge. If he could be comfortably flirty around her, so could she. He laughed as he saw her feet swinging as they dangled off the counter.
      "Hm?" She raised an eyebrow mid-sip.
      "Nothing, just," His voice was barely above a whisper. "You," He continued. She gulped down, trying not to choke on her wine.
      "Me?" She licked her lips and ran her free hand through her hair, tossing it over her shoulder. She resisted the rouge forming so familiarly on her cheeks. His adoring smile reappeared. This was where he was supposed to be.
      "You're good with Jack, adorable as hell, and you work too much," He blurted out. She couldn't tell if this was a compliment or not. Her brow furrowed, expecting him to admit he was joking. "You only drink wine, read in your free time, and bite your fingernails," She looked down at her hands; was it really that noticeable?
      "Aaron, what are you-" He cut her off.
      "Aaron...you're the only person that calls me Aaron," He stepped towards her. Nothing shone in her eyes other than confusion. Inside, she was begging for him to continue.
      "You're perfect, Ophelia," He was right in front of her now. Ophelia. She cautiously parted her legs, allowing him to get closer.
      "Aaron," She whispered, still incredibly dumbfounded at his sudden change in demeanor. He searched her eyes for any ounce of hesitation and when he found none, he placed his calloused hand on her soft cheek, pulling her in. Her lips were soft, just as he imagined they'd be. The taste of her strawberry lip balm lingered on his tongue. Of course it was strawberry. Her heart was beating furiously and her breaths were heavy. Before her mind could catch up, she pulled him in closer, inching forward on the counter and crashing their lips together again. His hand found its way under the hem of her slip dress, grasping her thigh with so much force it almost hurt. She came up for air and he took the opportunity to attach his lips to her neck, sucking on her soft skin. Her fingers snaked through his raven locks, gently pulling on them as to redirect her stifled moans. He gently lifted up the skirt of her dress and peeled it off of her, soaking in her figure. Watching her chest rise and fall with each heavy breath, seeing her in her mismatched underwear; he relived his words. She was perfect. He discarded her dress. Ophelia finally regained her thoughts and pulled him back by his tie, making him smile widely. He once again felt perfectly in place, their foreheads pressed together just admiring each other. She loosened his tie and slipped it off his neck, only for him to grab it and wrap it around hers, pulling her into him. She chuckled as she attempted to unbutton his dress shirt.

     The next morning, she awoke with the same dress shirt draped over her otherwise bare body, with no warmth next to her.