Chapter 11: Little Pig, Little Pig

There were times where Vincent reminded me of the big bad wolf and it fascinated me. I imagined him as his own version of the infamous character—someone who acted big and bad. But I noticed he didn't go out looking for trouble. If I were to be completely honest, he came off as someone who avoided trouble the best could until provoked. Even now, as he walked ahead of me, he tried to wear a façade that I saw for what it was.

"Genesis, try not to fall behind. It's very easy to get lost along this path. So, just keep close to me, okay? I can't promise I'd be able to find you in time if anything were to happen." I cringed at the sound of Vincent's voice. It was hoarse as though he was coming down with a sore throat.

"Oh? Is that kindness I hear? Wow. I may need to clean my ears out," I retorted.

"No. What you're hearing is a warning," he stated, calmly.

Ah, that was more like it. As much as I hated to admit it, quiet Vincent was starting to make me uncomfortable. He was too quiet. Weird, considering I should've enjoyed the peace and saved myself the bickering.

"That sounded pretty kind to me . . . and for the most part, out of character coming from you," I muttered, kicking the pebbles ahead of our path. He shot me a narrowed-eyed look over his shoulder that enticed a shrug out of me. When he noticed, he rolled his eyes and turned his head, leaving us to the silence we started with minus the thoughts rushing through my head.

I couldn't figure that man out if my life depended on it.

Ironically, I guess it did . . . in a way. When trouble brewed around Vincent, the people he cared about, or even just the people he swore to sacrifice himself for, he seemed to react in ways that were justified by how his kind was taught to live. There was immediate action—anything it'd take to keep the pack out of harm's way. I took note of that quite easily.

Part of me guessed that was what's to be expected from someone born to lead who would do as such. Quite literally. It would seem statuses within these packs were cemented into their birth. It was just like royalty. The lengths he'd go to protect his own would have been admirable if I wasn't stuck in the middle of it all.

Now that I thought about it, viewing Vincent as a big bad wolf in the wild seemed kind of strange. I imagined him living by the natural instincts of an alpha wolf—hunting to survive, mating to breed, the urge to protect, kill or be killed. With those qualities in mind, it was hard to say whether he truly could have been a big bad wolf or not in all its negative aspects.

What the hell was I even thinking about? Nonsense. That's what it was.

I breathed in a deep sigh, taking one long look at the side of Vincent's head. "Damn, I didn't notice it before, but this situation almost makes all of your good qualities seem shitty. . ."

He paused in his steps. His face did something funny as his eyebrows knitted together.

"What are you mumbling about now?" he asked.

Shit, I blurted my thoughts.

"Uh, I was just wondering how far from the main road we were going to walk. We're pretty far now and we've been walking for a while," I said, shrugging again.

Real smooth, Genesis, my thoughts taunted me.

There was some truth to that statement though. He had woken me up at the time he promised he would this morning. After driving to the location, he parked off to the side of the road, along the line of trees beside the gravel. Then we were off.

"Just a few more feet ahead," he said, walking forward.

"Hey wait! Those legs of yours move fast as hell," I huffed and trotted forward on my tip-toes in an attempt to catch up to him. If it weren't for his long legs, I could've kept up with him with no problem. But all because of those damn legs, I had to skip, trot, and jog a few times. Damn, he was moving at his normal pace too. Unbelievable.