CHAPTER 4: FIRST AND LAST

Seventeen-year-old Xavion narrowed his eyes at Malach as the angel threw a tunnel of wind at Cyfrin, who jumped to the side with a yelp. Cyfrin held his hands inches apart and slowly formed wind between them, though much weaker than the force of Malach's. The angel didn't hesitate to shield himself with an invisible force field that caused the air to blow right past him. Not wasting another second, Cyfrin was flown backward into the cushioned ball pit as the class cheered.

"Another job well done!" the kinetics coach congratulated Malach who was wearing a proud grin across his handsome features.

Cyfrin groaned sadly as he crawled out of the pit. Zisa laughed as he accidentally stumbled to the side after standing. "Why would you even volunteer to go against him? He's the best in the class!" she snickered.

"But I've been practicing," Cyfrin mumbled with a pout. He paused for a second before a wicked smile grew on his face. "Coach! Coach!"

The coach turned to Cyfin with an unamused look. "What is it?"

"Zisa wants to go next!" he shouted childishly.

Her jaw dropped. "I did not-"

"Ah, a volunteer! Come on up!" Coach grinned, motioning for Zisa to walk forward to challenge Malach. Unlike her usual confidence, her face paled. She was strong and everyone knew that—but her powers were nothing compared to Malach's.

Xavion watched as she gulped and took a hesitant step forward. Their eyes locked, her nervous gaze making his guts twist into knots. Xavion hated just about everyone on the planet, but he had a soft spot for her and Cyfrin, even if he'd never admit it.

Despite his instincts screaming no, Xavion gripped her forearm and stepped in front of the scared demon. "I'll go."

Everyone was surprised as Xavion wordlessly pushed past the students to meet Malach in the middle of the court. Xavion was the silent but deadly type of guy. Rarely did he participate in school. He preferred to be on his own and spent all his free time practicing instead, too afraid to embarrass himself in front of the other students.

Malach raised a brow as he shook the demon's hand. "Don't worry, I'll go easy on you," the angel teased with a smirk.

Xavion's grip turned tight, almost painful as he scowled. "Do your worst," he snarled viciously before stepping back.

"Oh boy. This isn't going to end well," Cyfrin sighed as Coach whistled into his bell for the match to start.

Xavion immediately tossed a bawl of wind with one hand toward Malach to distract him and threw another with his opposite hand. The second gust knocked the angel back a few steps, though he quickly recovered and created a tunnel that surrounded Xavion.

The demon's heart rate spiked as his feet were no longer on the ground but persevered. Likewise he lifted Malach off the ground with another tunnel of wind until they were both high in the air. The angel pushed forward so that the two of them were closer, another smirk prevalent on his face.

"Scared?" he teased, tilting his head to the side.

"Not at all," Xavion sneered in retaliation.

Malach laughed before startling the demon by pulling him even closer. They stared each other down, Xavion pissed and Malach amused. Their gazes were almost more powerful than the energy flowing around them.

The angel leaned his head merely an inch closer. "Well you should be."

Xavion gasped as the wind suddenly pushed him backward before he could process it. Malach was about to knock him into the ball pit before hesitating, heart twisting at the fearful expression the demon had. He was considering changing his mind and just letting Xavion win when another gust of wind pushed him to the side. It caused him to lose his grip he had on the demon's wind chamber, making Xavion drop into the pit as Malach shakily landed on the ground.