Chapter 17: The End

Hello, my children, we have come to the last chapter. HowEver- I will be posting by sleep deprived summary draft and closing a/n after this. 

Enjoy!

~

Receiving all the praises was hard. 

All the townspeople thanked them profusely, flashing grateful smiles and patting them on the back, unaware of the terrible death. Surprisingly, they were happy the castle collapsed. Something always bothered them about the old building, its destruction gave them a wave of relief.

Tommy, eyes red from crying, squeezed through the crowd with his hand at his face in attempt to cover his teary face. He just wanted to punch everyone, they were all cheering for them while his brother...

He felt a lump form in his throat. He couldn't blame them. They didn't know someone else was trapped in the building. Of course he wanted to tell them, but he didn't have the heart to. They all seemed so happy, he just couldn't.

He waved at them, forcing a brilliant smile, like he was enjoying the shower of praises.

The last time he had to fake an expression was when Wilbur baked cookies for the first time. Tommy tried one and immediately spat it out. It tasted like a burnt potato crisp with soya sauce. Till this day, he still believed Wilbur mistook the sauce as chocolate. When Wilbur asked why he spat it out, Tommy smiled awkwardly and said the cookie was so delicious exploded his taste buds, causing him to spit it out.

Needless to say, he had to choke down another batch of burnt crisps.

He chuckled a bit at the memory, before a wave of bitterness and sadness washed over him. He tried to convince himself that Wilbur was in a better place, like how the people in books and movies do, but he couldn't.

Soon enough, they had returned to their own village, grim expressions on their faces. The people didn't seem to notice, however, as they were all whooping and smiling. 

"Hey, where's Wilbur?" one innocent boy asked curiously. The friends exchanged glances, sharing a pained expression.

"He won't be back." Dream announced stiffly.

"When will he return then?" he inquired.

"Not for a while," Techno answered. The children still seemed confused, but the adults seemed to get the hint. The energy that they shared earlier seemed to die down. Some muttered among themselves sadly. Some gasped softly. Some just slumped their shoulders.

"So... if Wilbur won't be back in a while..." a man asked, avoiding the word 'dead' for the sake of the children. "Who's gonna run the town? For the time being?"

The people were silent for a while.

Then, a woman spoke up. "I think it should be Dream."

Everyone turned to Dream's direction. It reminded him of when Schlatt revealed Dream was the monster the entire time and the audience just stared at him. It also reminded him of the time Schlatt said something about stealing women and everyone looked at him again, despite the fact he was as straight as a flexible ruler.

"I vote Dream!" another man chimed in. "All in favour of Dream?"

Almost everyone raised their hands, which took Dream back in surprise.

"Well, majority votes Dream! What are you waiting for, come on up!" one of Wilbur's good friends and also assistant waved at him enthusiastically, but sadness lingered in his eyes.

Dream glanced at his friends before squeezing through the crowds and making his way to the bonfire. He turned back around and faced the people uncertainly.